Fret size on recent R8 and R9 ?

lentolento Frets: 117
Anyone know what size frets were used on the recent CS R8 and R9 (not the Historics) models - say from 2013 onwards .... ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13960
    edited March 2018
    R8 and R9 are Historic Reissue models, I'm confused as to what Custom Shop guitars is it you are referring to. The Gibson website has very detailed specs for the Custom Shop models going back over each year but make no mention of fret size, only how many there are!

My 2016 Standard Historic R8 has what I would say is medium jumbo frets although they are dressed perhaps to be slightly lower profile than I have felt on some regular factory Gibsons in the past. I like them as I don't notice them when playing, and never have, so they they must be just about perfect for me. String bending and vibrato on bent notes is smooth and easy. 

I have read that Gibson are now fitting "vintage" frets to the Custom Shop Les Pauls in 2018, not sure what size they are but if they are lower or thinner it doesn't sound like a good thing to me. I can cope with and in fact quite like vintage frets and 7.25" radius on a Fender but always associate LPs with wider taller frets.

• CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    The CS R8 and R9 models (the serial number stamp contained CS before the model number) have the same specs as the current standard historic models other than the neck tenon which was shorter so fret size should be the same. The CS R8 and R9 were only made for one year in 2015 before they became the Standard Historic with a return to the long tenon.

Most people think the CS models were introduced to force buyers to buy the true historic model which were more expensive to get a "true vintage" spec guitar.