20w / smaller amps - `does it work live with a band?` - videos thread!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26608
    newi123 said:
    So one of the questions that seems to be asked alot is `is it loud enough to gig?`

And one of the most common answers is "it depends".

If you want a true clean sound (think, Nile Rodgers) then you'll need something with more power than if you're happy with some breakup in your tone.

Also, you'll need less power if you have a "middy" tone.

R.
    It's the funny thing - accepted wisdom is that if you want metal-ish tones, you need 100W+. My tone is pretty low-end-heavy and fairly high-gain (but with a clear low-end, if you see what I mean), and I've never had it so good as I did with my JCA22H.

The Tubemeister isn't ideal - it does fuzz a little at the bottom - but it's still easily good enough.

Well I'm using 90 watts and getting on ok.  I could be using 180 watts though that'd be more hassle, I'd have to balance the volumes individually and well, 90 is enough.
    My point is that "accepted wisdom" is rubbish, and it's actually "whatever works for you" :)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 682
    Danny1969 said:

I've done hundreds, literally hundreds of gig's with a Blackstar HT5 into a 1 x 12" cab. Never had a problem really. In this vid I'm using it ol skool, no IEM's or wedge, just relying on hearing it behind me. Excuse the lo fi sound :)

Great band you got there! Really enjoyed that! Great vocals too, noice :)
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1634
    edited March 2018
    Danny1969 said:
    My HT5 has felt tip pointers because I couldn't see what they were pointing at either

@ecc83 did you see my comment the other day about repairing an HT club 40 and asking why the clean volume is a dual gang pot and why the PCB is drilled and marked for dual gang tone controls .... was this going to be a stereo amp at one point ?

Don't know Dan, will search up a schemo and see if I can work out the pot problem.  You often find redundant tracks/drillings on PCBs. Might be that the same board was/is used for another amp? (the Artist is effectively an HT-40 chassis) Might be the designer had Great Plans but the bean counters held him back!

You have to make economies where you can in this game. All the S1 rear PCBs are AFAIK identical fro example.

Oh! What is the service query? Did not pick it up.

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72375
    The really odd thing about the Blackstar HTs is that they sound progressively worse as you go up the range :). (With a possible exception for the HT-40 sounding better than the 20.) I've never come across that before. I've got a HT Stage 60 2x12" in for a power valve replacement just now and it sounds appalling - I can't get a sound I like out of it at all. I like the little HT-1R best, followed by the 5R.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• It's the funny thing - accepted wisdom is that if you want metal-ish tones, you need 100W+. My tone is pretty low-end-heavy and fairly high-gain (but with a clear low-end, if you see what I mean), and I've never had it so good as I did with my JCA22H.

The Tubemeister isn't ideal - it does fuzz a little at the bottom - but it's still easily good enough.

Well I'm using 90 watts and getting on ok.  I could be using 180 watts though that'd be more hassle, I'd have to balance the volumes individually and well, 90 is enough.
    My point is that "accepted wisdom" is rubbish, and it's actually "whatever works for you" :)

Of course.  

I was just tongue in cheek stating I'm using less than 100 watts too.
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 202
    ICBM said:
    The really odd thing about the Blackstar HTs is that they sound progressively worse as you go up the range :). (With a possible exception for the HT-40 sounding better than the 20.) I've never come across that before. I've got a HT Stage 60 2x12" in for a power valve replacement just now and it sounds appalling - I can't get a sound I like out of it at all. I like the little HT-1R best, followed by the 5R.
    I had the same experience with the Stage 60 combo in a rehearsal room.  Didn't seem bad as such, just voiced for someone entirely unlike me.