SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - PRS McCarty gold-top soap-bar

What's Hot
KeefyKeefy Frets: 2301
edited April 2018 in Guitars £
I have owned and gigged this USA-built PRS McCarty gold-top since 2010. The serial number identifies it as a 1999. Production of this model ceased in 2007.

Body
Double cutaway
Mahogany back (1/8in thicker than the Custom etc.)
East coast maple top in gold finish

Neck
Set neck
Rosewood fretboard
Wide-fat profile
22 frets
25in scale length
Phases-of-the-moon dot inlays - no ostentatious falling birds here!

Hardware
Wrap-around bridge
Vintage-style tuners

Electronics
2x Seymour Duncan soap-bar single coils (hum-cancelling when both selected)
3-way toggle selector switch
1x volume, 1x tone control

Sounds
The basic sound of this guitar is spanky single-coil Tele-on-steroids, but with plenty of underlying fatness. Roll back the tone control, and you are into Gibson territory. Where I would have used this guitar on a gig, I am now using both a Tele and a Gibson. This is one supremely versatile guitar, and by far the loudest that I own!
I have fitted a treble bleed circuit (1nF Orange Drop cap in parallel with 150k resistor) and it now retains brightness as you roll back the volume control.

Condition
Plenty of wear left in the frets. Currently strung with 9-46 GHS Nickel Rocker strings but will happily take a 10 set if you prefer. Action is set low to my taste.
There are some dings on the neck and body, which I have tried to show in the pictures. In particular there is a spot on the upper edge where a chunk of finish has been crunched, but it seems to have been filled in with clear lacquer so that it can barely be felt. There is also a dent in the bass side of the neck between the 15th and 16th frets, but this has never affected playability.
Comes with fitted hard case (a standard Strat-type case is not a good fit).

Reason for sale
This is an awesome guitar (this model won a Guitarist mag shootout with a Gibson LP gold-top), but not the kind of awesome that I am currently lusting after. Plus if I operate a 1-in-1-out policy, Mrs Keefy will let me keep both my testicles…

The bottom line
I am looking for £1,150 ono. As yet I have no seller feedback on here so I wouldn’t expect someone to transfer me a 4-figure sum to have the guitar sent to them – I know I wouldn’t risk it! – so it will be collection or meet-up. I live in Swindon and work in Oxford, and I am happy to travel within a 40-mile radius so that you can try it, at no cost to you.

Trades
I would be interested in any of the following, with cash adjustment either way depending on what the other item is:
- Fender Classic Series 72 Telecaster Deluxe
- Fender Road Worn 72 Telecaster Deluxe 
- Fender FSR Telecaster Deluxe
- Fender American Pro Telecaster with Shawbuckers
- Gibson Les Paul Junior DC (not 2015) or quality equivalent (Rock’n’Roll Relics, Collings)
- Vox AC4

Photo album

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2301
    edited March 2018
    Further trade option added: Fender Nashville Tele. see below!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5795
    Your only guitar I was very much not interested in that then completely won me over. 

I have no need for such a thing and no money to spend but I’m still sat here trying to work out how I could buy it. 

Anyone in the Swindon or Wilts neck of the woods and wanting a new toy, this is well worth a play. And @Keefy is not such a terrible bloke to pay a visit to either. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6720
    edited March 2018
    Have a bump on me. I would be all over this if I didn't have an R6 to sell and the wonderful WezV Earth 2 '52 to keep my goldtop and P90 type pickup needs met. 

Mind you..... that could change...  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • amarok1971amarok1971 Frets: 338
    i love my rosie mc soapy, have another bump!
    dazzajl said:
    Your only guitar I was very much not interested in that then completely won me over. 

I have no need for such a thing and no money to spend but I’m still sat here trying to work out how I could buy it. 

Anyone in the Swindon or Wilts neck of the woods and wanting a new toy, this is well worth a play. And @Keefy is not such a terrible bloke to pay a visit to either. 
    i love my rosie mc soapy, have another bump!
    Thank you for your kind words chaps!

Further trades amendment - yesterday I tried both a Nashville Special Tele (meh) and an American Pro Tele with Shawbuckers (wow!), so the latter has displaced the former as a trade option.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24848
    Absolutely my favourite PRS guitar. GLWTS
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5179
    Yep looks great... I almost sold my Tokai Telecaster to buy Fretfinders one last year  :s
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5070
    edited April 2018
    tone1 said:
    Yep looks great... I almost sold my Tokai Telecaster to buy Fretfinders one last year  s
    Mine was well used, several small marks, finished removed from the back of the neck, changed
    I know and lots, and had a refret. I sold it for a grand to an ‘interesting’ American from Bournemouth, who immediately advertised it on gumtree and eBay for £1200+. Turns out he was a wannabe bedroom dealer. I guess he sold it eventually but it lingered for a very very long time. 

This is one looks great though! 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • DrSpockDrSpock Frets: 36
    edited March 2018
    I had one of these years ago and for the money they're a great workhorse guitar.
    Thanks for all your trade offers, some being of more interest than others. For the avoidance of doubt, no, I have no use for a cement mixer.

I have checked out insured courier delivery, and this would cost £66 by UPS. What? Screw that, I could do personal delivery within 150 miles of Swindon.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2018
    There is currently serious interest from one would-be-trade and one potential cash buyer, but this geetar is still very much available. I am in no massive rush to sell, so if you can't live without this PRS but are waiting on imminent funds, drop me a line - a small deposit will secure.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3265
    The only prs I have ever really wanted. Best of luck with shifting this, can’t see it being around long.
    Deposit received, so consider this sold unless things go seriously tits-up!
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5795
    Wow!!! I’m really shocked you’ve actually gone ahead this time. Someone has been pretty smart. 
    edited April 2018
    dazzajl said:
    Wow!!! I’m really shocked you’ve actually gone ahead this time. Someone has been pretty smart. 
    Ha ha! Last time I took it 140 miles to @guitars4you to trade against either a Collings 290 or a 1960s SG Junior, and ended up driving 140 miles back with it! But fab as it is, GAS is leading me elsewhere - watch these pages for incoming lovelies!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7544
    argh how did I miss this? I'm interested in one of these.... and I live in Swindon! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5070
    edited April 2018
    tone1 said:
    Yep looks great... I almost sold my Tokai Telecaster to buy Fretfinders one last year  s
    Mine was well used, several small marks, finished removed from the back of the neck, changed pickups and pots, and had a refret. I sold it for a grand to an ‘interesting’ American from Bournemouth, who immediately advertised it on gumtree and eBay for £1200+. Turns out he was a wannabe bedroom dealer. I guess he sold it eventually but it lingered for a very very long time. 
    Correction! The fella is still trying to sell my old one and make a profit on the grand he paid me for it nearly nine months ago. Given the condition and the mods on mine, I thought I did ok getting a grand for it. Still, god loves a tryer and good luck to him!
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173235810901

250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TimmyO said:
    argh how did I miss this? I'm interested in one of these.... and I live in Swindon! 
    Where is the facepalm emoji when you need it?
  • I sold my Goldtop McSoapy to a mate... fortunately he was very understanding when I started crying for it back a few months later.   
    'There are plenty more guitars in the sea'