Les Paul Customs

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16735
    I am enjoying this one at the mo, but have to give it back soon

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14305
    tFB Trader
    I played a black LPC at a guitar show on Sunday - it was a 70s one in lovely condition. The gold hardware was beautifully worn, the binding nicely yellowed and the ebony board was really smooth. It had clearly been played a lot - but obviously cherished by its owner.

It would be a privilege to own it, even if only to look at.... 
    could have been a great birthday gift - who was selling it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    guitars4you said:
    could have been a great birthday gift - who was selling it
    That’s a very generous offer Mark! :)

I don’t know who the dealer was, unfortunately. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400

If ABR-1 is high on your list then I think your only option is the VOS rout
    What's so good about an ABR-1? 
    tFB Trader
    NelsonP said:

I've not actually said it is so good - it can have its faults as well - But it is traditional as used on many Gibson Guitars during the 50's and 60's 

The actual build and materials will have an impact on the tone and many replica ABR-1 bridges from the likes of Faber IMO are better built/engineered - some purest  will tell you a compound change in materials results in a different voice - So there are ABR bridges and ABR bridges - they can rattle, easy to loose saddles when changing strings and on slim support posts they can tilt forward over the years

Gibson with help from the likes of Schaller and later other suppliers set out to build a more sturdy option, but again a change in the compound/material used changed the voice - Engineers will tell you it is better built
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250
    ICBM said:
    impmann said:
    I had an early 90s three pickup with gold hardware... flippin boat anchor that had the tone of child's piano. 'Orrible thing. I just thought it looked the bomb until someone said it looked like a cheap hooker's handbag... and they were right of course.
    The guitarist in my band has one, and although it is really quite heavy - just under 11lbs - it sounds absolutely massive. We did take the pickup covers off which made it sound better as well as look a lot less tarty :), but it was pretty good before anyway. Also tried a Bigsby (with Vibramate) but it took something away from the tone and made it uncomfortably heavy.
    I’ve got a Bigsby and Vibramate on my ES345 and the problem is that the Vibramate plate moves the Bigsby tension roller off the face of the guitar by about 4mm and ruins the break angle and string tension (but I’d guess you’d figured that out!). I had to go from 10s to 12s to get it feeling similar.

Anyway, courtesy of the Manics, New York Dolls, Sex Pistols and Randy Rhoads, the correct colour for a Les Paul Custom for me is yellowed Arctic White.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    57Deluxe said:
    I decided to give my white Studio the CUSTOM Vibe... subtle details but big result!

Multi-ply pickguard on Studio LPs is a winner.  Adds back a bit of the geometric flourish that goes missing with the binding
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4316
    I had a 1993 Ebony LP Custom. 

It was really light, sounded huge, and played like a dream. It was my first decent guitar. 

Sold it and have regretted it ever since. 

Definitely the best sounding electric guitar I've ever owned. It played much better than the R8 I bought at a later date too. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• WezVWezV Frets: 16735
    NelsonP said:

I aged a gotoh Nashville style bridge for the 70’s custom above.  It had already eaten two ABR-1s so it made sense to try something slightly sturdier.  
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    NelsonP said:

I've not actually said it is so good - it can have its faults as well - But it is traditional as used on many Gibson Guitars during the 50's and 60's 

The actual build and materials will have an impact on the tone and many replica ABR-1 bridges from the likes of Faber IMO are better built/engineered - some purest  will tell you a compound change in materials results in a different voice - So there are ABR bridges and ABR bridges - they can rattle, easy to loose saddles when changing strings and on slim support posts they can tilt forward over the years

Gibson with help from the likes of Schaller and later other suppliers set out to build a more sturdy option, but again a change in the compound/material used changed the voice - Engineers will tell you it is better built
    Thanks. I only ask because I only recently bought a guitar that has one. It works just fine but i hadn't realised that they were sought after by some.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    edited March 2018
    Mine ways around 10.5lbs. It's a 1990 Les Paul Custom in Tobacco Sunburst which was always my favourite finish - it's not a minter that's left sat in it's case but is a 'proper' well-loved and well-played gigging Les Paul that's completely stock original (other than strap-locks, but I still kept the original buttons) and plays & sound great.  For me the pick-guard and p/up covers is a MUST and the speed knobs are more practical than top-hats.  I hate open p/ups on a LP (I barely tolerate the 'Zebra's' on my PRS Cu24) and with no pickguard they look naked ...and I need it to rest my little finger on it when I play for greater picking stability and control!  And I also much prefer the tulip tuning keys to the kidney shape...much nicer looking and more special in my book.  One of the best LP's I've ever played and I'd never sell it. 

photo 100_1235_zps20500cedjpg
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3089
    My drummers dad has a 74 Custom in yellowed white I'm keeping tabs on. Very much gigged - it's a monster. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

tFB Trader
    My drummers dad has a 74 Custom in yellowed white I'm keeping tabs on. Very much gigged - it's a monster. 
    best colour IMO - that puss yellow - off white/custard - a white Ricky goes a similar way
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27133
    best colour IMO - that puss yellow - off white/custard - a white Ricky goes a similar way
    They do go a beautiful “not white”, but too many go into custard territory, which is not a good look. 

I do also wonder if a white LP is actually too cool for most
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22995
    best colour IMO - that puss yellow 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11799
    Apparently, my father-in-law has an LP Custom he bought in the 80s under his bed that he never touches, and an old Mesa amp he never uses.

Frankly I think he should give me both.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    edited March 2018
    My 70's Custom (together with the other oiks in the family..), it desperately needs a set-up, in 2 minds to de-cover it, T-Tops etc, sounds great and definitely different to the the other 2 (88 Standard and R7)

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    welshboyo said:
    My 70's Custom (together with the other oiks in the family..), it desperately needs a set-up, in 2 minds to de-cover it, T-Tops etc, sounds great and definitely different to the the other 2 (88 Standard and R7)

Any chance you could lend me that R7 forever, please?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    edited March 2018
    welshboyo said:

Any chance you could lend me that R7 forever, please?
    haha, not to derail the thread but that R7 has been on the chopping block a few times and I see sense at last moment and keep it - its got a tree trunk neck which could put a few people off but its so comfortable to play and that neck gives it a real wide sound - its the brute of the 3 for certain - its one of those guitars that should never get away and I think I realise that now..

In fact the 3 of them are the same in that respect, all keepers -  they are all great guitars..to me...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27133
    Just seen this in Gruhn Guitars, where I will be making a stop in a few weeks. Let's see if it's still there by then...

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom