Anyone know anything about the handbender?

What's Hot
LuminousLuminous Frets: 210
http://www.goeldo.de/tremolos-und-parts/duesenberg-tremolos/3625/the-handbender

I've always fancied a b string bender and don't fancy the faff....its not an impulse purchase though
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    HOW much?!!

The Hipshot one (which I admit is a little camping-cutlery-set looking by comparison...) is half that price and has a drop-D lever as well.

They also do a G bender with a palm lever you can add to it, which I've just fitted to a customer's Tele. Very pedal-steel-like once you get the hang of it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2427
    Blimey, that is pricey.

I have a Hipshot with the B-bender and the palm lever for the G string. I found the palm lever really difficult to get used to -- the B bender is much easier to get the hang of.
  • LuminousLuminous Frets: 210
    How do you guys find the hipshot?
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2427
    It works, but you need a light touch. If you are heavy handed (hipped?) the plate flexes and your tuning suffers.
    ah...I would have to try one first I think then

thanks for the info

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    Stuckfast said:
    It works, but you need a light touch. If you are heavy handed (hipped?) the plate flexes and your tuning suffers.
    I found it worked OK if you make sure all the string contact points are lubricated - you need to anyway, the normal operation puts things out of tune otherwise.

You do definitely need the two extra screws in the end of the guitar as well, which makes it a non-completely-reversible fitting.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ah that puts it out the game for me

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 527
    tFB Trader
    How about the Rolling Bender?
    http://rollingbender.com/admin/index.php/product/right-handed-rolling-b-bender/
    Still pricey for a small bit of kit but completely non-invasive to the guitar. Tele and 6 saddle models available.

• markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    edited March 2018
    I have a bowden b bender 

Works well if like me you just want to try it. He's a nice chap to deal with and can make it for almost any guitar. Obviously it can be a g bender as well. 

Take a bit of getting used to. But it's an affordable option. I looked at all the above.

http://www.bowdenbbenders.com/