Need some 335 wisdom please...

What's Hot
ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
Folks.

Have been offered a 2003 Nashville 335. It's all lovely and flamey. Has classic 57s and a hardcase. But I know bugger all about the hollow stuff. Is Nashville better than Memphis? What sort of value am I looking at in reasonably good nick, but looks like a fret dress wouldn't hurt.

Thanks in advance..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3222
    Mate just play it, if it sings do the deal. You CANNOT beat a good 335. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Mate just play it, if it sings do the deal. You CANNOT beat a good 335. :)
    You can, it's called a 345 :-p
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2018
    Mate just play it, if it sings do the deal. You CANNOT beat a good 335.
    You can, it's called a 345 :-p
    Yeah and I ignored a nice bigsby equipped 355 too! :)
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Nashville v Memphis 335s tends to bring up the same old arguments: “They’re all made in the same factory”, etc. When I was looking around for a good 335 a few years ago the Nashville models were then a cut above the Memphis ones. Just better built and more pleasing to play (and more expensive). In more recent years the quality of Memphis 335s has improved and I’m not even sure there are Nashville models now. I’m not a fan of Classic 57s but some guys love them. The Nashville 335s moved to Custom Buckers which I personally prefer and are in a similar ballpark to the current Memphis MHS buckers.

Going back a couple of years £3k+ was being asked for used Nashville 335s in good condition but, perhaps due to the improvement in Memphis models, maybe £2700 - £2800 is reasonable now for a really good example? Let’s see what others think.....
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    @ellwood - what price are asking? I'm assuming its a flamey 335 dot from early 2000s?
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Chalky said:
    @ellwood - what price are asking? I'm assuming its a flamey 335 dot from early 2000s?
    Yep. 03 flamey and looks nice. Needs a fret dress. Being valued around £1900...
    ellwood said:
    Chalky said:

If that's a genuine Nashville custom shop 335 you've got a bargain BUT I've seen a number of 335s for sale claiming to be Nashville CS which weren't. Do you have a serial number?

The way Gibson over-uses the term Custom Shop causes a lot of confusion and misrepresentation unfortunately.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Jimbro66 said:
    ellwood said:
    Chalky said:

If that's a genuine Nashville custom shop 335 you've got a bargain BUT I've seen a number of 335s for sale claiming to be Nashville CS which weren't. Do you have a serial number?

The way Gibson over-uses the term Custom Shop causes a lot of confusion and misrepresentation unfortunately.

I think you are confusing today's situation with the situation back in 2003. Nashville makes very very few 335s today, say 1% compared to Memphis. 15 years ago Nashville made a much higher percentage, and they were not all Custom Shop back then.

@ellwood, I'm guessing it doesn't have a COA so it would be a standard model? If so, I'd say that price it a bit toppy if it needs work. As a private seller I'd say they'd be pleased to get £1800 for one in very good nick, so maybe £1600-1700 for one that needs work.

(I'd be very pleased to get £1900 for mine, a flamey Nashville 2001 that needs no work and has a nice low action)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Jimbro66 said:
    ellwood said:
    Chalky said:

Serial number confirms it as a Nashville, April 25th, 2003- but it has never been termed as a Custom Shop. The deal is going ahead so we will see if it is as good as it seems tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the input!
    Chalky said

I think you are confusing today's situation with the situation back in 2003. Nashville makes very very few 335s today, say 1% compared to Memphis. 15 years ago Nashville made a much higher percentage, and they were not all Custom Shop back then.

My comments regarding current used value were in respect of Nashville CS models. If the one being offered to @ellwood is not CS then I agree that £16k - £17k for one needing work and in average condition is about right.

£19k should buy a recent Memphis 335 which are pretty good judging by the ones I have tried - but now selling for close to £3k new!

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Jimbro66 said:

My comments regarding current used value were in respect of Nashville CS models. If the one being offered to @ellwood is not CS then I agree that £16k - £17k for one needing work and in average condition is about right.

£19k should buy a recent Memphis 335 which are pretty good judging by the ones I have tried ...

Feck!  @ellwood has bagged a bargain.  Again!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    Jimbro66 said:
    Chalky said

£19k should buy a recent Memphis 335 which are pretty good judging by the ones I have tried - but now selling for close to £3k new!

19K WTF! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well, £1900 was what the chap trading it in valued it at...not necessarily what it will owe me. I think we are all roughly in the same space...
    wesker123 said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Chalky said

19K WTF! 

LOL. Looks like I missed out the decimal points. Mind you, Gibson prices are heading that way.
    Definitely need to get over to try this one!! :)
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    I’ve got a 2013 Memphis made  quilt es335. It’s superbly made and plays and sounds great. I tried a Nashville made es335 side by side with mine when I bought it. Honestly couldn’t tell any difference in build quality and tone. I’m not a lover of the classic 57 pickups that Gibson fit so these had to go.
    Well it has arrived. And, from the 30 mins of noodling I managed before heading for that there London village it seems nice enough. Needs a bloody good clean but frets aren’t as bad as I thought from the pics. 

Need some more time with it - a quick early
    morning half an hour hasn’t really put me in a position to know whether I like it or not. It feels like I should sort of give it a go - lots of people who’s opinion I respect have advised me to give a 335 a go. We’ll see.

Thanks for all of the input - I’ll let you know how it goes.