Hard to believe this is all original

What's Hot
peteripeteri Frets: 1283
https://reverb.com/item/9931538-gibson-les-paul-1970-black-beauty

Can someone please the strange circle near the selector?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Could it have had a large plastic ring at some point?   
    Definitely looks like a fretless wonder though - I think I’d struggle with that.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14472
    Curious that the listing includes not a single photograph of the back of the guitar. Perhaps, there is something visible around there that would explain the "crap circle" on the top? 

It may be significant that the raised circular feature is about the same diameter as the selector switch "chip". If, for the sake of argument, somebody had try to fasten the chip with Superglue but dropped it en route to positioning it correctly, a raised mark like the one in the photographs is the result that might be expected. Removing such a glue mark afterwards would be tricky. 

Another possibility is that an object has been in physical contact with the finish for long enough to bring about a chemical change. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72435
    It looks to me like an area there has been refinished. It's not just the raised circle, there is also some unevenness in the finish around it and around the correct switch ring that doesn't look right. I would certainly want to see pics of the back as well.

Also, the jack socket is missing both its external washer, at least one of its internal shakeproof washers (probably both), and the nut is not original - it should be gold-plated - hence I strongly suspect that the jack has been changed. Trivial or not, this makes the guitar *not* all-original.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Looks like someone painted over a torn sticker. Weird.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Looks like the pickup selector has been located in a different spot at a time. I’d imagine that circle is where it was located and it has been filled in and painted over.

The issue with finishing over that sort of work is over time the nitro will continue to gas off and shrink around the form. 

Maybe the back  will tell us the reason? 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9655
    Moving the selector switch seems a very strange thing to do, but a photo of the switch cavity with the cover removed would confirm.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31619
    It's more likely they added an extra one rather than moved the original. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    ICBM said:
    It looks to me like an area there has been refinished. It's not just the raised circle, there is also some unevenness in the finish around it and around the correct switch ring that doesn't look right. I would certainly want to see pics of the back as well.

Also, the jack socket is missing both its external washer, at least one of its internal shakeproof washers (probably both), and the nut is not original - it should be gold-plated - hence I strongly suspect that the jack has been changed. Trivial or not, this makes the guitar *not* all-original.
    Odd screws holding the bridge pickup ring down too...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7794

It looks more like a sticker that's been covered, or that the sticker's glue has reacted with the finish, which has been revealed after the sticker was taken off.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72435
    impmann said:

Odd screws holding the bridge pickup ring down too...
    Good spot.

It's also interesting that in the photos of the guitar, the bridge pickup tone knob has a broken skirt. In the pic of the four knobs, they're all intact - so presumably they've been replaced recently.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Don't do it Pete! :lol:
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3592
    Without an in hand inspection and or seeing the back to throw more light on it, I think the painted over sticker or refinished hole plugged where another switch/control might have been. You can see what looks like matt black paint on the circle and a tiny bit on the edge of the 'poker chip'. Blow up the third Pic to see. I'm voting for a sticker painted over on the current evidence.

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Bucket said:

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Bucket said:
    Laughing

no way! Just couldn’t believe the obvious refinish described that way