2002 MIM Strat, what spec can I expect?

paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
edited March 2018 in Guitar
There is a 2002 MIM Sage Green Strat advertised locally, described as Mint condition, Im just off to the North Island for the weekend so cant see it until next week...would 2002 be considered to be good bad or indifferent? It has a Rosewood board, what spec can I expect in the hardwear, body wood etc oh and its £400 

https://www.wightbay.com/cowes/leisure/fender-stratocaster-complete-guitar-bundle-5602921/

Thanks!
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NomadNomad Frets: 549

Alder body with Polyester finish. Neck is satin polyurethane. Vintage style bridge with 52mm / 2-1/16" string and screw spacing. Lightweight cast sustain block. Machine heads are sealed die-cast types and decent enough. 5-way switch.

I got one in Midnight Wine recently with some wear on the maple board for £350 from GuitarGuitar, but it had upgraded pickups. I suspect the pots had been changed as well. I ended up fitting new pots, socket, and caps in any case, as well as putting prettier plastics on it.

The trem arm wasn't a very good fit when transitioning between pitch drop and pitch raise - too much waggle (normal, I gather). I put a replacement block (machined steel) and arm on a couple of weeks ago (from a guy based in Wales - £32 delivered), and it made a noticeable difference to the tone as well as the feel of the arm. My initial impression was more attack, and that seemed to translate into it feeling more responsive to picking.

£400 for a mint one with a bunch of extras doesn't look like too bad a deal. Can't comment on the stock pickups, but I'd certainly recommend upgrading the trem block and arm.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Thanks @Nomad I dont need the "extras" but It sounds like they will be included!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3500
    This is my 1994, a bit older but I believe its the same spec? I think it was 2006 when they got updated?

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.

Its got a thin trem block, its quite light, build quality isn't bad, neck is lovely , finish is very good, compared to my Tele the neck feels thinner, less chunky, the pickups are quite hot and the staggered pole pieces make them seem hotter, it took me a bit of getting used to but it might just be because I am not used to playing a Strat, the pots and switch seem fine, the sound is very stratty, quacky, it does sweet hole Alabama surprisingly well! I like it, I am not sure if its a guitar that I will keep long term (I need to wittle my guitars down to one) but its one that I wont particularly want to part with easily. 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Thanks @robgilmo ;

You are welcome, price wise that doesnt look like a bad deal, but I would really play it first before buying it, for instance you might not get on with the amp which just makes it baggage, so if you buy the lot for the guitar alone I'm not sure if its a cheap guitar or not, I doubt he would get 500 for it like he says in the add, I have been searching for a Mim for a while now and the prices do range from 250 up to the price of a new one, the colour is nice though and I haven't come across many that colour for sale.