Solderless wiring sets - question

What's Hot
MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
Just got a solderless wiring loom upgrade, which has little screw terminals for pickup wires. I also have a new pickup set. Question is; should I tin the pickup wire ends with solder before using the screw terminal, or will they be fine just twisting the strands? Thanks :-)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72429
    Surely if you have the tools and the skills to tin the wires, it would be better just to do the job with solder connections in the first place?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    My skills are limited, and the wiring loom was a significant upgrade with much better pots, cap, jack etc, the solderless connection was a bonus feature.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    tFB Trader
    A customer asked me to help when he couldn't work out why the solderless harness he'd bought gave no output, even with the pickups connected in the little green block:

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28421
    should I tin the pickup wire ends with solder before using the screw terminal, or will they be fine just twisting the strands? Thanks :-)
    Never mix soldered and compression. Either just twist them, or put bootlace ferrules on.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14472
    Just got a solderless wiring loom upgrade
    Which one? The EMG157c Buss board, the Duncan Liberator, their Blackouts Pre-Amp device or some other system?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Just got a solderless wiring loom upgrade
    Which one? The EMG157c Buss board, the Duncan Liberator, their Blackouts Pre-Amp device or some other system?
    A nice man made it for me with CTS pots and a NOS cap (there is some solder, but not on my part and the pickups/ground are on a terminal block).