Excessive feedback from les paul custom

What's Hot
liamonliamon Frets: 103
I'm having a bit of an issue with the heat coming out of my Les Paul Custom (stock, 1990). It's not something that I expected. The slightest touch of a distortion/fuzz pedal and it instantly goes into intense, squealing feedback. I've used the same amp/pedal rig with guitars with a range of pickups: bareknuckle warpigs (huge output), catswhisker wide range humbuckers, and some old bill lawrence humbuckers as well - and none of them give me any feedback at all with the same settings or distance from amp. 

I measured the output of the pickups with a muiltimeter on a lead plugged into the les paul (I know this is not the most accurate) - the neck is about 7k and the bridge is about 13k. So that all seems normal. 

Anyone had the same issues? Advice on minimising?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Well its deffo the guitar then from your trouble shooting already.

Sounds like a symptom of the pickups going microphonic. 

If they have metal covers, the covers could be loose slightly which could cause it. 
    Other than that it could be a few things that have come apart or loose in the pickup (from my limited experience). 

May be as simple as needing the pickups re-potted (if they were to begin with). 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Microphonics does indeed seem a likely culprit, although plugging into the amp direct and physically tapping the pickups will help confirm this (and which one)

What are the pickups? - 7k vs 13k is not a crazy difference, but it’s a pretty big gap and might indicate another issue
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    repot
  • liamonliamon Frets: 103
    SunDevil said:

What are the pickups? - 7k vs 13k is not a crazy difference, but it’s a pretty big gap and might indicate another issue
    They are stock pickups on a 1990 Les Paul Custom... so I don't know if they were potted to begin with (?). 
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250
    I had a 1990 LP Custom and it had the Bill Lawrence designed “circuit board” humbuckers. I think they’re made a little differently to normal humbuckers - you’re really not supposed to take the covers off them so not sure if they’re potted or not. Might be that they’re beginning to fail although I’m not sure what the reason would be. Mine didn’t have an issue with feedback.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    Microphonic pickups - need repotting.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11640
    tFB Trader
    Could be simply microphonic , but as has been said they could be the Bill Lawrence designed ones with the PCB on the underside and they don't like being tampered with much at all if my memory serves me right

pinched from Les Paul forum:
    Gibson HB-R (Alnico5) measured extremes between 7.0 - 9.1K
    Gibson HB-L (Alnico5) measured extremes between 13.4 - 15.3K

As far as I can tell it's an even wind, and surprisingly thin on the wax, that is to say when one of my bobbins broke I couldn't detect any on the coilwire...

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    edited March 2018
    I've never understood why these pickups have become somehow 'desirable' now that they're thirty years old... they were shit at the time and they're still shit now. They're poorly made, often go microphonic, and tend to wobble about because there is no height offset to the mounting feet.

Replace them with some good pickups and be done with it.

Actually, then sell them for a lot of money on Ebay to any fool who will pay good money for them...

(For what it's worth I like a lot of Bill Lawrence's pickups and wiring ideas - just not these.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• lewismlewism Frets: 250
    John Squire had them in one of the guitars he had made for the Spike Island gig, but I’m not sure if he still inspires enough hero worship to drive prices up. There are plenty of good options for a more conventional replacement though.
  • liamonliamon Frets: 103
    Could be simply microphonic , but as has been said they could be the Bill Lawrence designed ones with the PCB on the underside and they don't like being tampered with much at all if my memory serves me right

pinched from Les Paul forum:
    Gibson HB-R (Alnico5) measured extremes between 7.0 - 9.1K
    Gibson HB-L (Alnico5) measured extremes between 13.4 - 15.3K

As far as I can tell it's an even wind, and surprisingly thin on the wax, that is to say when one of my bobbins broke I couldn't detect any on the coilwire...

Just had a look and they are these Bill Lawrence ones. In that case I won't attempt a repot myself (which I was thinking of doing).

Can you elaborate on "they don't like being tampered with much at all"? Does that mean I should not have them repotted?

Might just switch them out with some vintage style bareknuckles and keep the BLs so I can revert back to original if need be.