How low do you go....

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Middle. Same height as when playing sitting down.

Am I the only one here who doesn't think having it low looks cool? I just think it looks stupid and contrived. Maybe a *little* lower than middle is OK, but not much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Am I the only one here who doesn't think having it low looks cool? I just think it looks stupid and contrived. Maybe a *little* lower than middle is OK, but not much.
    No you're not. Stupidly high = stupidly low = uncool.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • jmasterjmaster Frets: 19
    I always used to have it as low as I possibly could while still being able to sort of play cause I thought it made me look like slash, then when I realised it didn't, I just looked like a tw*t and couldn't play properly I raised it up, now I'd say I have it similar to that satriani photo when playing my strat. Strats especially feel much comfier at that height to me
    "have a good time, all the time" Spinal Tap
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2013
    Depends on the guitar.

Jazzmaster - slightly lower than middle-of-the-road
    Les Paul - again, slightly lower than middle
    Flying V - pretty much bang on middle
    Tokai - again, pretty much middle or slightly higher
    Soloist, RG etc - usually playing techy stuff so I have it pretty high
    Bass - usually as low as the strap will allow - it's one of those ergonomic padded ones, so it's really not that low.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Middle, I guess...

• jmasterjmaster Frets: 19
    Bucket said:
    Depends on the guitar.

Jazzmaster - slightly lower than middle-of-the-road
    Les Paul - again, slightly lower than middle
    Flying V - pretty much bang on middle
    Tokai - again, pretty much middle or slightly higher
    Soloist, RG etc - usually playing techy stuff so I have it pretty high
    Bass - usually as low as the strap will allow - it's one of those ergonomic padded ones, so it's really not that low.
    I'd agree with this, when I had my JM and my les paul it felt natural to have them that bit below the middle but with a strat that just looks dumb and you don't get the benefit of that nice belly hugging contour so much
    "have a good time, all the time" Spinal Tap
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Middle for me
    ICBM said:

No you're not. Stupidly high = stupidly low = uncool.
    +1

Now, if you find it really comfy very high or very low, that's fair enough. but a lot of the really low thing is contrived (I think).
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557

Bleeding eck, I've clicked on this post several times today, I keep thinking its to do with tunings.

I cant tell you how disappointed I am each time.

BTW, I plonk mine on my lap.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2893
    I used to go low, but now i middle.  I suspect it wont be long before i sit down.

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    edited August 2013
    My right arm gets cramp if it doesn't fully extend straight on a down stroke so I guess according to the opinion on here I wear it too low and I'm a ninny :|
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    Well that smiley came out wrong!?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17625
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

With you there. Page looks fine, but I always think Peter Hook looks like a twat hunched over because his bass is too low to play properly.

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    monquixote;17952" said:
    ICBM said:

With you there. Page looks fine, but I always think Peter Hook looks like a twat hunched over because his bass is too low to play properly.

http://static.nme.com/images/gallery/08103_150114_peterhook_PA.jpg
    With you on Hooky, always looks just that little bit too far away from him. I'd guess I'm mid/low - strings are sort of in line with my belt buckle, if I wear a tie with function band it always finds a way over the top of the guitar and in between the fat strings!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    grungebob said:
    My right arm gets cramp if it doesn't fully extend straight on a down stroke so I guess according to the opinion on here I wear it too low and I'm a ninny :|
    Only if you have to lean forward or hold the guitar at a daft angle to accomplish that! That's when it gets stupid and contrived.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    edited August 2013
    grungebob said:
    nah it's fair enough if there's a genuine reason for it

(heck it's fair enough even if there isn't, it's not like I care either way, people can wear their guitars at whatever height they like :)) )

I can't wear mine too high or it feels too constricting, too. I'd like to be able to wear it at the same height it's at when I'm sitting down but it feels weird that way. EDIT: actually now that I think of it, with certain guitars sitting down my arm does the same as yours so maybe I wouldn't want it that high up anyway...
  • fatherjackfatherjack Frets: 180
    ICBM said:

The thing is, I don't see how hunching over makes it any better;  the bass is suspended at shoulder level, as are his arms.  When he hunches over to get his arms lower, the bass gets lower by the same amount.  The only way it would work is if the bass were prevented from going lower as it's resting on his leg, but if that were so the strap would go slack as he hunched over.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    if the audience can see your junk (whether out in the wind or hidden behind jeans) it's too high! :D

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    edited August 2013
    I dunno, I guess I'm middle?

http://imageshack.us/a/img543/1151/ilh.png

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I'm sure I read that Peter Hook now suffers from spine/back/shoulder (possibly all) problems after years playing like that. 

No real surprises there.
  • I'm sure I read that Peter Hook now suffers from spine/back/shoulder (possibly all) problems after years playing like that. 

No real surprises there.
    As does Pagey.

He did look cool as fook though.