Hairline crack in 335

What's Hot
Hey there

Hoping someone might put my mind at rest. Spotted this crack where the neck joins the body on my 335. I'm hoping it's just the lacquer, but the position of it worries me, and the fact that its exactly in line with where the neck meets the body frightens me slightly. Anyone seen this a bunch of times and knows exactly what it is? Sorry for the gross pictures - its a player not a collectors piece hehe.

Something to worry about?
Many thanks
Harry

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mar10mar10 Frets: 12
    edited March 2018
    Yeah it’s firewood, might as well give it to me

looks like just lacquer cracks mate, keep an eye on it, if it moves substantially in a short time I’d get some one to check it, I assume there’s no movement/creaking etc?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    edited March 2018
    Yeah just lacquer but more worrying is that other massive damage you got going on there!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    i can see a sort of inverted questionmark scratch in the horn cutaway but any hairline crack in the neck joint is not very visible on my screen. It's common to have some movement in the timber over time that does not coincide with the movement in the finish creating that hairline crack. If the joint still feels solid I suggest it's fine and nothing out of the ordinary.
  • Thanks @mar10 you're welcome to swing by and take it off my dead lifeless hands! Thanks for the help though.

Thanks @57Deluxe I know its filthy, but there's no other damage just the remnants of sweat that needs a good cleaning. Despite what the pictures suggest I take good care of this thing, but put 4-5 hours on it daily which does show. 
  • Thank you @ESBlonde - the weird question mark is just some grime that rubbed off after i took the picture. Sorry it's not that clear. The 'crack' or whatever it is is a perfect straight line from the 19th fret i suppose if you're looking at the pictures.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14420
    tFB Trader
    perfectly fine and no issue but can understand the question - just a touch of movement - various reasons as to why it happens - can be a knock - more often slight movement in the case during transport - often temperature/climate/age/wood movement

No issue and nothing to worry about - no attention required
  • Thanks @guitars4you - appreciate your help. I am actually very close to sending you an email regarding 3 of the LP's on your site and arranging to come and visit! Anyway, thanks!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23131

I asked a similar question a while ago about a CS-336 I was considering buying.  It had much more noticeable cracks all along the neck/body join (which were highlighted by residue of some kind of white polishing compound).

@ICBM reassured me it was just common lacquer cracking at the meeting point of two different bits of wood, which will have reacted slightly differently to the effects of age and temperature changes.

Unfortunately someone else bought the 336.

• Thanks @Philly_Q - assuring to hear!
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Can't see anything that would worry me, apart from the diddy strap button! That is a genuine cause for concern in my eyes.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2963
    tFB Trader
    As said just a very fine lacquer split. It could be touched in but isn't really worth the effort on a keeper.
    It's tidier than mine btw!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    edited March 2018
    rico said:
    Can't see anything that would worry me, apart from the diddy strap button! That is a genuine cause for concern in my eyes.
    Yes lots of this. Time for a Dunlop straplock or at the least a beer bottle washer! 335s benefit from having the headstock attached and even a good repair will devalue a playable guitar at least 25%. Just not worth the worry.

as @Corvus mentions it can be retouched, but would then show in a black light situation and possibly cause more questions than a basic honest finish crack should the value ever be that significant.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    ESBlonde said:
    rico said:
    Yes lots of this. Time for a Dunlop straplock or at the least a beer bottle washer! 335s benefit from having the headstock attached and even a good repair will devalue a playable guitar at least 25%. Just not worth the worry.

as @Corvus mentions it can be retouched, but would then show in a black light situation and possibly cause more questions than a basic honest finish crack should the value ever be that significant.
    I had an SG ages ago and the one time I forgot to use a strap lock the guitar leaped off me and smashed the G machine head, I was very lucky it wasn't a lot worse!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16794
    It’s a common crack in a common location.  Nothing to worry about at all.

I first remember seeing it on my epiphone when it was brand new. 22 years later it hasn’t changed at all 
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250
    If it helps, here’s the same area on my 330. I don’t worry about lacquer cracks!
    https://i.imgur.com/NyFogBl.jpg
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2963
    tFB Trader

@ESblonde it can be done invisibly in nitro by running lacquer with a very fine brush into the crack. Light sand & polish after. But have to know your way around flatting & polishing etc or it'll be made worse. Just too much effort for something that's more common than my ex ...

Another one for the manky 335 gallery -

http://alleykat.co.uk/images/stuff/greco/join.jpg

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23131
    edited March 2018

I've got an SG with a bound ebony fretboard and there's a hairline crack where the binding meets the mahogany, running the full length of the neck. I was annoyed when I noticed it but it would be a faff to try to repair it.

I assume it just means the ebony's shrunk a little. But if the fretboard falls off later I'll let you know.

• Thanks for all of the responses ya'll. Knew you would put my mind at ease. 

With regards to the strap fear, I have a very healthy population of beer bottle washers that have taken me a long time to amass, worry not, my guitar is glued to me!

Harry
  • humbuckohumbucko Frets: 179
    I'd be more concerned about that stray pube
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom