Suggestions for higher gain drive pedal for tele/les paul into Lazy J J20

What's Hot
mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
Forum wisdom needed. Am currently loving my tele and les paul into the J20, and with the KoT, my lower to mid gain needs are well covered. Half the time just cranking the amp is splendid, and it's proving a really portable verastile set up. But I'd love a good amp-like higher gain pedal to allow harder, saturated rock tones. Thinking JCM800 kind of territory. I've had the v2 Angry Charlie in the past, and it was good, but didn't particularly float my boat. Xotic SL drive was also ok but not special to my ears.
 Was wondering about the Amptweaker Tight Rock jr - looks like it has a few different modes which means it could likely be made to integrate with most amps. Not seen much talk about them so wondered if anyone had some experience of it?
Any other suggestions people would look at?
Cheers all
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    Try the fried man be. 
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    Barber Direct Drive
  • Echopark Echodriver is good for that role.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    My veteran fuzz has done great times in it through my j20 but may not high enough gain you're thinking of?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Weehbo JCM. It is my main drive pedal with the J20. Fantastic Marshall in a box (I too had the Xotic for a bit and was underwhelmed).

Stick a clean boost in front for more gain. It's monstrous

• mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    Thanks guys. Anyone tried the Amptweaker  tight rock to compare with your suggestions?
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    edited March 2018
    Actually my humble OD3 into the boost side of the KoT seems to do a decent job with the LP into the J20. Back on it goes. That OD3 refuses to be usurped!
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    shredmaster or guvnor (mk1)?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.