What's your experience with Baja 60s Telecaster?

What's Hot
sratosrato Frets: 24
Hi,
I'm thinking of buying one but there's none near me.  Did you try this guitar and what did you think?  Playability, overall quality?  Thank you!
Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6221
    tFB Trader
    I have one. Love mine. It’s such a great bit of kit for the money especially. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4000
    I've got a 50s Baja and I love it. The MIM Classic Series and Classic Players are great guitars, very well made, and with it being the 60s Baja, you will get American Vintage pickups.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4735
    edited March 2018
    Great guitar.  Very playable, good sounds, very well made, stays in tune better than any other I've got.

I was going to say come and try mine but I see that could be quite difficult =)

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    They seem to be fetching strong money nowadays.  Worth spending a little bit more and getting a s/h American Std imho.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    Really good guitars, however the 50s I had a V neck and my didgy little hands can't handle that. Not tried the 60s
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    I had a Baja 50s Tele, it weighed a ton but otherwise was okay. I sold it and bought a Squier Classic Vibe maple neck Tele, in my opinion it’s a much nicer guitar.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4675
    edited April 2018
    Had one, also had the classic vibe Tele, sold the Baja kept the CV as I preferred it. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3613
    So whats yhe difference between a 50's and a 60's?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1818
    robgilmo said:
    10 years 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8025
    50’s has wonderful beefier V shaped neck. 
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    robgilmo said:
    Different body wood, neck profile, fretboard and pickups I think.  
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    Fretboard was roseaood on 60s mild C neck, hottebpickups I believe....though I may be imagining that
  • BoopDeWoopBoopDeWoop Frets: 101
    Neck is pretty slim on the 60s, smaller than a normal/modern fender. I had one but it didn’t last long. Shite weak pickups too. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4735
    Neck is pretty slim on the 60s, smaller than a normal/modern fender. I had one but it didn’t last long. Shite weak pickups too. 
    The neck on my 60s is the fattest I've had on any Fender, including those with supposed fat necks.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    uncledick said:
    They seem to be fetching strong money nowadays.  Worth spending a little bit more and getting a s/h American Std imho.
    Based on the ones I've played, I'd go for a Baja.  It does depend on the individual example. I've played one or two Bajas that weren't great, but when you find a good one I prefer them to the lower end of the US range.  When you get up to AVRI (American Original now) it's different.
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1397
    Be aware the neck on the 60’s is very different to the 50’d Baja’s. 

Much slimmer but still a lovely guitar
    How very rock and roll
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

I was reading about the 60’s the other day, I thought perhaps getting one and swapping the body for a nice nitro repro, but from what I read the necks vary quite a bit, both in people’s perceived thickness and a few actual measurements I saw.   So might be worth trying before buying, depending on era the neck could be skinny or reasonably chunky.

I occasionally play my mates 50’s, the neck on that is reasonably large, but nothing like my Allparts TMO fat.   I prefer the fat, because I don’t like V necks so was hoping the 60’s was a reasonably  chunky C.   

Also note later models have Pau Ferro fretboards, which are a bit lighter than the earlier rosewood.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    I had a shortlist of baja telecaster, american special, american standard and 50s roadworn when I opted to spend (for me) big on a tele.  All were very nice but the nitro, the chunky neck and the way it felt on the roadworn put it way ahead of the others so I bought one.  I would have had any, probably baja over the other two on price, then standard and last special.