SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB CR8 Les Paul or similar

What's Hot
After one of them chambered reissues ain't I. Would also consider sub-8lb solid Les Pauls. Only the fat-necked need apply. 

Doesn't have to be a Gibson, but it does have to be posh because I'm selling everything and trying out the 'only one guitar' thing. Luthier-made-with-someone's-actual-hands would be nice. 

I'm a fussy bastard so please don't be offended if I reject you. It's (probably) not personal.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I have one, it’s a great guitar but sounds very different to my other les Paul’s. 
    Nicely balanced, and as you say, a massive neck. 
    I’m not selling mine so not really much help to you, you just very rarely see these so any excuse to trot out a pic!

http://i66.tinypic.com/2aiirs0.jpg
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2301
    I have one too, but not selling mine either! I tried almost every Les Paul in Vintage & Rare (Bath) and nothing sounded like the CR8. Just to stoke your gas, there is a whole website devoted to chambered reissues: www.chambered-reissue.org

@andy1839, yours is the most similar-looking to mine that I've seen, with tiger-striping across the body plus grain marking along it.

• brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    I think chambered reissues are really superb guitars, really like the flame on both examples shown here. Cool guitars guys, enjoy them. I tend to think that chambered guitars have some really nice ressonance and acoustic properties that do make a difference in the final feel and sound of the instrument.

Gretsch duo jets also have it, as do telecaster thinlines.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23070
    I have one too.  Didn't think I'd be able to post a picture but I've borrowed my own picture from http://www.chambered-reissue.org/owners/82090/82090.htm

CR82090

• It's very reassuring that people really want to hang on to these. They hardly ever come up. I was just beginning to consider a Huber, but these posts have steadied that wobble. I'll check out that site again - it's been a while.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23070
    I was just beginning to consider a Huber
    Me too recently, along with some similar things, but the prices are quite a hurdle.

I don't know what CR8s would go for now because you hardly ever see them.  Mine cost me £1,900, secondhand, which seemed a bit of a bargain but that was about 4 years ago.
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    edited March 2018
    You could also perhaps consider a 2007 - 2008 Les Paul Standard Faded.  They were chambered in those years, as were some in late 2006, but the necks on the 50's neck versions aren't anywhere near as fat as historic 50's necks.
  • I didn't realise people were so attached to their CR's.   I'm another one who has no plans to sell (even though I'm currently playing Tele's) but here's a pic of mine from the Chambered Reissue website.  Without doubt the best and most playable Les Paul I've ever owned.

'There are plenty more guitars in the sea'
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Andy_Strings That is a beautiful guitar. You sure you don't want to sell?!

One went recently on eBay for under £2000, which I'd be happy to pay. For the first time in years I have the money sitting around, but I can't find the guitar to buy.
    There was one for sale in Manson's in Exeter when I called in, but that was 18 months ago, and there's no sign of it on their website now.

Sorry, that's not going to help, is it?
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I'm really up in the air about these. I've tried a chambered PRS SC250 and a Les Paul Class 5. I thought they lacked low end. Then I saw Bad Company and Mick Ralph's tone knocked me out using one. So I'm completely confused. 
  • @Andy_Strings That is a beautiful guitar. You sure you don't want to sell?!
    Sorry Buddy, I just know that I'd end up regretting selling.  I'm sure you'll find the right one for you eventually.
    'There are plenty more guitars in the sea'
  • Bump to find a CR8 before I spend two grand on unsold Easter eggs.
  • Thanks @bodhi - well spotted.