Removing warts from a guitar

What's Hot
menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

Dear Fretbaord,

So the guy who played in between our sets today had an issue with his acoustic guitar, so I lent him my Strat.

When he handed it me back, he said his warts we’re killing him and showed me a load of compacted warts in the tips of his fingers, complete with string marks.  I said he should get them frozen off.  He said he did, yesterday, which was why one was bleeding, as he showed be a bloody hole in his hand where one had fell off.  For the 2nd set naturally I switched to my HPV free Telecaster.

So with regards the Strat, do I:-

1.  Give it a quick wipe down and use it again.
2.  Take off and bin the almost new strings, disinfect, put on new strings.
3.  Burn it and bury it in the garden.

I’m currenly thinking 3 might be the best option.  I’ve just got home and started eating some pop chips,  but the bumpy wart like surface is making me feel sick.  I’m not sure I can play the strat again without thinking of oozing viral fingers  :s

3reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    I’d go with burning it personally.... :)

I recognise this is probably a massive flaw in my character - but I never let anyone else play my guitars. Your post strengthens my resolve never do so in the future....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • I’d go with burning it personally.... :)

I recognise this is probably a massive flaw in my character - but I never let anyone else play my guitars. Your post strengthens my resolve never do so in the future....
    i also try and avoid lending my guitars, partly selfishness and also i dont know where their fingers have been, or i probablt do know where their fingers have been.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited March 2018
    Embrace the Strat as it is, warts and all 
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1818
    Don't bury it on the garden. It may turn out to have been an ancient native American burial ground and there's nothing worse than a reanimated guitar coming to get you while you sleep 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris777Chris777 Frets: 58
    Could you not make it into a Jem7 BSB style guitar?
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

Can I borrow your Strat for a few weeks Rich while mine is in quarantine  ;)
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    What was the issue he had with his own guitar? ..had someone wrapped it around his head for being an inconsiderate knob-head?

Cant offer specific advice, but some form of detol type of stuff that can be used on wood would be a good start, followed by oiling the board before it suffers?
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
    edited March 2018
    SunDevil said:
    What was the issue he had with his own guitar? ..had someone wrapped it around his head for being an inconsiderate knob-head?

It was the undersaddle pickup I think, or one of the wires.  It worked in soundcheck then just died.

To be fair to the lad he had no idea they were contagious and though you could just get them from playing the guitar.  Technically, I could, now.

I’ve just rubbed it down with alcohol wipes, now going to leave it a while.  The internet tells me HPV can survive in a dildo for 24 hours,  but since it’s not a dildo, I’ll leave it a week or 2.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72674

So with regards the Strat, do I:-

1.  Give it a quick wipe down and use it again.
    2.  Take off and bin the almost new strings, disinfect, put on new strings.
    3.  Burn it and bury it in the garden.

I’m currenly thinking 3 might be the best option.  I’ve just got home and started eating some pop chips,  but the bumpy wart like surface is making me feel sick.  I’m not sure I can play the strat again without thinking of oozing viral fingers  :s 
    2, definitely. Strings aren't that expensive. Or 3...

Exactly this. I'm not 'precious' about it, but I just don't want someone else's filthy hands on my guitar, at least unless I know them quite well and wouldn't need to worry about something like that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7853

Image result for nuke it from orbit

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1818
    menamestom said:

I’ve just rubbed it down with alcohol wipes, now going to leave it a while.  The internet tells me HPV can survive in a dildo for 24 hours,  but since it’s not a dildo, I’ll leave it a week or 2.
    Joking aside, hand warts aren't as infective as genital warts. I think alcohol wipes and waiting, then new strings and more alcohol wipes is a good idea. 

Option 4 sell it in the classifieds!

Mods can you delete this thread  ;)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    menamestom said:

Joking aside, hand warts aren't as infective as genital warts. I think alcohol wipes and waiting, then new strings and more alcohol wipes is a good idea. 
    You don’t know he didn’t have nob warts though, and anybody with that level of hygene awareness won’t be washing their hands after a piss  :s

Joking aside yeah I think you are right.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    Just clean it up and put new strings on and you will be fine. I’m very ocd about cleaning any used guitars I buy and understand where you are coming from.

I lent my guitar to another band once following a string break and after a couple of songs he took his top off - I wasn’t impressed that it had touched man skin!

Anyway I doubt you’d get warts. In secondary school we skilfully removed the black bit out of a mate’s wart and impaled it on the end of a compass and tried to implant it into another kid’s neck. Needless to say he didn’t get a wart on his neck...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    Jeez - you not see what happened in Salisbury??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2940
    Give it a spit wash, it will be fine. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I’ve been waiting for years to use this movie quote: 

• Okay so you got the semen. You got the human ejaculate that has been allowed to sink in for seven hours alright, work its way into the fabric fucking fibers. 
    • Hugo, there isn't a fucking laundry detergent or cleaning product known to man that will get that clean. Some shit, suffice it to say, just don't wash out.

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8800
    Joking aside, hand warts aren't as infective as genital warts. 
    Always good to hear the voice of experience :D 

Personally, I’d bathe the thing in bleach for a month.

Probably myself as well, for having touched it.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer