The Supermarket Wine Thread

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• docbakerdocbaker Frets: 30
    When I say merchants, this includes importers, and independents, of which most towns boast at least one - they are wine enthusiasts who want to sell to you, whether you know anything about wine or not, they take education as a pleasure, rather than the disinterest of a supermarket.

They also have real bin ends, it's always work asking, as the price is better, and may have a bit more age than usual, which can be interesting.

I have recommendations for Alderley Edge, Bristol, Chagford, Cheltenham, Clifton, Fareham, Central London, Liverpool, Newark, Oakham, Hucknall, Stratford upon Avon .. wherever we go I search out what independents there are, as well as anything guitar-related.

I agree about expensive wine, I try these mostly as part of a cost-sharing wine circle, some can be mediocre at best, depends how they have been kept. I see quite a few which have been exposed to heat, but that's easy to tell before buying.
    -site:amazon.co.uk -site:ebay.co.uk... ditto for .com, the most powerful internet search filters
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    edited April 2018
    I’ve tried a few supermarket Malbecs over the last couple of weeks...

Hereford from CO-OP, tried a bottle and enjoyed it, bought another and really didn’t enjoy it at all. Too dry and no real fruity flavour. Bitter aftertaste too. About £7.00 I think. Probably won’t buy again.

Barefoot Malbec. I enjoyed this one, nice and fruity and quite light. About £7.00 I think.

Waitrose own label Malbec.... not really. Shan’t buy again. £5.99

Aldi Uco Valley.... actually very nice, plenty of blackberry-ness. I’m drinking it right now as it happens. Would certainly buy again. £5.99.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Budgie said:

Aldi Uco Valley.... actually very nice, plenty of blackberry-ness. I’m drinking it right now as it happens. Would certainly buy again. £5.99.
    I have a bottle of Uco Valley sat in the rack waiting to try, I'm expecting good things, but it will do well to beat LA Moneda Malbec from Asda. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3909
    I like red Shy Pig. Paid £3.75 for my last bottle, it's lovely.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24810
    Deadman said:
    I take that was in 1988 though?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Last nights bottle, Ferrandiere Merlot, 5.99 Aldi. Don’t drink Merlot often, this reminded me how nice it can be, lovely wine at a good price. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3909
    Deadman said:
    I take that was in 1988 though?
    No.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • docbakerdocbaker Frets: 30
    Budgie said:

Hereford from CO-OP, tried a bottle and enjoyed it, bought another and really didn’t enjoy it at all. Too dry and no real fruity flavour. Bitter aftertaste too. About £7.00 I think. Probably won’t buy again.

Barefoot Malbec. I enjoyed this one, nice and fruity and quite light. About £7.00 I think.

Waitrose own label Malbec.... not really. Shan’t buy again. £5.99

Shame about the co-op malbec, from what you say it's faulty, and typical of oxidisation. If you still have the empty bottle take it back for a refund, all european wine has a lot number on the bottle, so yours will not be the first returned of that lot ..
    -site:amazon.co.uk -site:ebay.co.uk... ditto for .com, the most powerful internet search filters