Tweed and JCM Drive Suggestions

What's Hot
Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
What pedals would you say do:

A) A great driven Tweed sound, Neil Young kinda thing

And

B) A fat cranked JCM800 kind of distortion

Just to avoid confusion I’m talking for two separate pedals here, not a one pedal do it all solution.

Also i’m keen to avoid boutique brands, i’d prefer main stream produced pedals to keep the costs down. I had a Boss BD2 years ago and still have fond memories of that sounding great.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    I've had a good few of the boutique tweed pedals but if you're looking to save money I can heartily recommend a Joyo American Sound. Ridiculously good pedal for £35. A bit hissy with the gain over about 3 o'clock but it will be quite tweedy and ragged by then.

Not sure on the JCM. Would always answer Weehbo to that question but you specified nothing pricey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    thanks for the Joyo recommendation, never tried on myself but always heard good reports. I had a Wheebo JCM Drive once, swapped it for  my Lovepedal Provalve. I also had a Fulltone GT-500 at one point. All of which were great pedals, but none quite delivered on that thick chunky distortion I was looking for.

I might be barking up the wrong tree, maybe I should try one of these, they seem a bit thicker sounding:

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6719
    Les Lius for Neil Young. Plextortion for JCM800. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 668
    What about the Boss Angry Driver? It’s two pedals in one, a modded Blues Driver (for your fond memories) and an Angry Charlie from JHS.

• noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited April 2018
    I don’t know if the Liquid Sunshine mkiii sneaks in under the budget, but it does the Neil Young sound extremely well. Very much ‘set and forget’, and control it with the guitar - mine’s on all the time unless I need really glassy clean. Give it a wallop with a boost in front of it for fuzzy, saggy lead sounds - marvellous with a dark sounding delay - it’s now the only drive pedal on my board, which I specifically put together for Neil Young/Tom Petty Americana type sounds.
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    Wis for American Sound and Les Lius suggestions - will definitely get you there. 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5158
    Not played one, but in the JCM ballpark the XVive Golden Brownie gets a fair bit of love. £50 if you shop around.

XVive do a Tweed-style pedal in the Thomas Blug tie-in range too (Sweet Leo), although I hear less about it- don't know if that's a result of "tweed in a box" pedals being that much less popular than the Marshall-y equivalent, or the fact that it's not as good...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    Will check them out, thanks
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    is no secret or special 'Tweed' pedal - - is all about being aware of the dynamics of a Tweed amp and dialing a bog standard TS to get same. Don't be lured by a Brand or unicorn dust.

Best Tweed tones outside of a typical Tweed circuit is actually through a Dano Trans Drive.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118

Used to enjoy the sound the marshal gv2 guv'nr - really close to a JCM 800.

Cheap as chips too

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    +1 for Marshall GV2, it's really good not even just for the money and the deep control helps if you want that big fat marshall tone. Thinking about picking one up for cheap to use with rehearsal room amps when i can't be arsed to take my marshall. 

MI Audio have just brought out a Super Crunch Box V2 which has full EQ with presence and a load of clipping options. I had an original Crunch Box and thought it was great so would trust this to be even better.