Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Katana Tones

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Whilst the forum has rebelled against them a little bit recently, I'm still the proud owner of a Katana 50...

I'm looking for a thread where people share their settings for them, for purely selfish reasons, I want to really learn how to really get the most out of it.

I'm thinking, what settings do you use for a nice woody-bluesy tone, one for an alt rock crunch?  What do you all recommend?

I'm guessing these could apply across the board as well, the best tones, where to dial the EQ, and what FX to turn on or off, what pickup to use...?

Going back to the OP's purpose for this thread, sharing settings -  I have a 100; I need time to play around with the setting and Tone Centre. I do like the crunch channel, but last night I was getting a fantastic AC/DC tone on the Lead Chanel with the gain backed off to 9/10 o'clock, with a Vintage Lemon Drop. Between the crunch and the lead channel, there's a lot of ground covered. Going to try the RAT and Muff next.
    am interested getting hold of your tones, i have the same guitar..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11778
    That's all exactly why I started the thread, sure it varies from guitar ot guitar, pickup to pickup, but ultimately people are going to find sweet tones in certain places.

Where there are patches, it almost helps to know, why give it that?  The Katana seems a bit unusual in it's marketplace in modelling certain overdrive pedals, like a tubescreamer, blues driver etc. knowing which ones work for someone with a katana will help learn what gives you your sound when you get a board for your valve amp, that sort of thing.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Re the Katana Artist I checked with Boss and you cannot use the internal speaker when you connect an external cab.  I think this is the most stupid approach and it's the same with a lot of other modelling amps like the later Vox Valvetronix, Fender Mustangs and others. 

If you have a 100w 1x12 combo the ability to add a smaller, lighter 1x12 cab to give you a 2x12 capability is the ideal set up.  Yet these manufacturers don't give you that option. 

Even my old Line 6 Flextone II lets you do that, and my AD120VTX.  It looks like manufacturers are going backwards to save a few pounds.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    I suspect we will see a Katana Artist Head this year.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Voxman said:
    Re the Katana Artist I checked with Boss and you cannot use the internal speaker when you connect an external cab.  I think this is the most stupid approach and it's the same with a lot of other modelling amps like the later Vox Valvetronix, Fender Mustangs and others. 

If you have a 100w 1x12 combo the ability to add a smaller, lighter 1x12 cab to give you a 2x12 capability is the ideal set up.  Yet these manufacturers don't give you that option. 

Even my old Line 6 Flextone II lets you do that, and my AD120VTX.  It looks like manufacturers are going backwards to save a few pounds.  
    I think there’s an element of “Ye cannae break the laws of physics...” involved here in that it’s really, really hard to make a cheap-ish solid state amp safely deliver the same sort of power across a range of impedance so you’d have to either put a bigger (and hence more expensive) power amp than was needed to drive the internal speaker to rated power if you wanted to safely drive an extension cab in parallel or make the extension cab run in series and accept a reduction in power for that mode (which would to some extent defeat the object).
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31593
    @JayGee ; exactly. It's not a careless oversight, it costs money. 
    So maybe the inevitable Katana Artist Head could help out a lot of people?
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3029
    edited April 2018

Had some fun with the Tone Studio last night through the headphones. The other boosters, such RAT, Muff, Distortion+ and 60's fuzz sound good. I liked the Natural OD  for a vintage style light drive. The new delay, SDE 3000, can go pretty far out. The Harmonist works well - riffing with 6th harmonies sound just Pallbearer. Compressor is fine, but is with the modulations. Isn't it normally at the beginning of the signal chain?

It's a bit frustrating having the boost and modulation on the one slot. And if you use a modulation on the fx slot, you lose the delay, but it is possible to put delay and reverb together on the reverb slot to get round this. You can also use the reverb slot as a second delay. I'm certainly getting the GA-FC and expression pedal soon to make the most of the effects. With the volume pedal I will be trying ambient swells etc.

It is a fiddle having to set the parameters with the laptop. But after that, it's set and forget, with just one control for each effect. I like this simplicity. I find with pedals I am constantly turning the knobs and not settling on a sound, its a distraction.

Had a go at the patches in the Tonelab - not that impressed, some sound good, perhaps need to be tweaked to your liking.

Has anyone had a go with the Sneakyamps?  

• Really struggling with my katana 50 now....

It's just not punching through and needs a LOT of fiddling to find the root cause...

Last band practice I got on everyone's nerves with the tinkering, first to the amp, then to my pedals...

I'm running it clean with pedals.... NEVER had this much trouble with the Fender Blues Junior or Cornford Roadhouse..

It was difficult to get a bad sound out of those- but It's difficult to get a good sound out of the Katana, in a full band context at least.

At bedroom levels it's always going to sound good as you have no other frequencies to compete against.

The Blogging Musician ;https://adamharkus.com/
  • I had a brief fettle with Sneakyamps, just to see how they sounded; I didn't tweaked any of them.. I am finding the stock "4" are more than adequate at this time.

I may revist them in due course if there is a certain tone I feel I cannot get.. perhaps a Dual Rec...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31593
    Really struggling with my katana 50 now....

It's just not punching through and needs a LOT of fiddling to find the root cause...

Last band practice I got on everyone's nerves with the tinkering, first to the amp, then to my pedals...

That's where I was for three months and is the reason I bailed. I just went back to real amps and started playing music again. 
  • p90fool said:

That's where I was for three months and is the reason I bailed. I just went back to real amps and started playing music again. 
    The reason I went to the Katana was cost. simplification and convenience...

2 cables, 2 power leads and 1 multi-fx is far better than 4 cables, a diasy chain of pedal power + 1 amp power., Direct into amp FX, FX loop FX, .....

It's much simpler with the Katana.... until you try to dial in sounds in a full volume band context..

.... Then it gets VERY complicated and VERY frustrating.

Really, it's only the setup and pull-down that the Katana simplifies. 

• p90fool said:

2 cables, 2 power leads and 1 multi-fx is far better than 4 cables, a diasy chain of pedal power + 1 amp power., Direct into amp FX, FX loop FX, .....

It's much simpler with the Katana.... until you try to dial in sounds in a full volume band context..

Very simple for me. I just run my pedalboard into the clean channel all EQ at 12 o’clock. 2 Katana 50 combos in stereo. Sounds fantastic to me. I’ve owned lots of high end amps over the years inc mesas, two rock, buddas etc etc, but since kids came along I had to sell all my high end gear. I’m enjoying gigging more than ever and love the tones I’m getting. Had lots of positive comments from punters on my sound as well.
  • p90fool said:

Very simple for me. I just run my pedalboard into the clean channel all EQ at 12 o’clock. 2 Katana 50 combos in stereo. Sounds fantastic to me. I’ve owned lots of high end amps over the years inc mesas, two rock, buddas etc etc, but since kids came along I had to sell all my high end gear. I’m enjoying gigging more than ever and love the tones I’m getting. Had lots of positive comments from punters on my sound as well.
    What gain setting do you have on your clean channel ?

What OD/Setting are you using from your pedalboard ?

• p90fool said:

• p90fool said:

Typical gig settings are Amp gain at 9 o’clock, master on full, volume between 12 and 1 oclock.

I use a Blackstar HT Dual pedal. On the crunch side of the pedal I set the Gain between 12 and 2 oclock, bass at 11 oclock, mid at 10 oclock, treble at 1 oclock. Level set slightly higher than the clean level. I basically set it for the maximum amount of crunch I need, then roll back on the guitar volume for various amounts of gain. I set the lead side of the pedal identical just slightly louder for solos.
  • p90fool said:

Typical gig settings are Amp gain at 9 o’clock, master on full, volume between 12 and 1 oclock.

I use a Blackstar HT Dual pedal. On the crunch side of the pedal I set the Gain between 12 and 2 oclock, bass at 11 oclock, mid at 10 oclock, treble at 1 oclock. Level set slightly higher than the clean level. I basically set it for the maximum amount of crunch I need, then roll back on the guitar volume for various amounts of gain. I set the lead side of the pedal identical just slightly louder for solos.
    Great I'll give that a go thanks.
  • Good old Dave Simpson has a new video up about the Katana 50. He goes through a few settings; had a quick go and they do sound good. He does an interesting thing with the tone nobs on his amps, he does it with the Orange CR120 as well; he keeps them low, between 0 and 3 normally. Is this an unusual approach?I’ve not seen anyone else do this and I would not have considered it before.

The Volume is cranked up to 10 on all his settings; I have been cranking the master volume and then adjusting the volume which is what many advise, but the approach with the volume at 10 is sounding great. To be fair, everything he plays sounds superb.