Waist measurements - Weight - and a General Brain Dump - Possible Mumsnet type Post

What's Hot
TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
edited April 2018 in Off Topic

So - I have reached the end  of the road. My weight has continued to spiral out of control, (I blame stress related drinking) I'm at my heaviest ever at 19st 2lb.

I know I can lose it, I've done it before - I just cant seem to start. We have a holiday booked in August and in January I set my self the goal of dropping a minimum of 3 stone by then. An easily achievable target. I haven't even started.

I think I have got my drinking under control though which is a really good thing. Started at the gym last week and have started cycling to work when I can (22 mile round trip) and to my surprise I am finding that I missed that endorphin rush that you get after exercise which I'm hoping will spur me on. I cant go n like this, obesity being the second most preventable cause of cancer etc I have to do something and I think I have the mindset now to get this done.

However. Being a fatty (though I am 6'4" so hide it well apparently) I avoid buying trousers as I can never get any to fit, instead wearing 1 or 2 pairs to death. In Next I can get away with a 38" Long leg fit in some styles. Last night I had to measure myself as I need a suit for my step fathers funeral next Tuesday.

According to the tape my waist is 46" !!!!!!!! but all my trousers are 38" (the odd 40" thrown in) I know its all subjective but jeez, that has scared the crap out of me. That's mentally fat. I've always carried my fat in that area. I don't have a belly at all but have plenty of girth in the lower back and hips - the danger area too

Anyway - I've waffled on - why do clothes manufacturers lull you into a false sense of security like this, its a dangerous game

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5471
    edited April 2018
    You should shop in TK Maxx instead.  Doesn't matter what size is on the label in there,  you just try a pile on until one fits. You could be an XS in there! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Best of luck with the drinking control. If you can limit what you drink it will make a big difference to your weight and the chances are you'll be less likely to wake up feeling like a lump of dog shit.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    I’m confused - you said you can’t seem to start and haven’t started yet. Then went on to detail getting the drink under control,  joining the gym and cycling to work. You have started!

Keep up the good work and just buy the jacket and trousers that are comfortable for now and don’t worry about the size or spend too much!

Because you will be giving them away when you’ve lost all the weight...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28210
    edited April 2018
    The only thing is add is that the only proven way to lose weight is to take in fewer calories than you use. 

The easiest way to do that is to do some calorie counting - plan your meals and leave a snack allowance. A small snack allowance.

Oh, and remember that it took you a while to put that weight on, it'll take a while to get rid of it. But doing it gradually means you'll have turned good habits  which are the key to being in control. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27000
    Wis for sporky. Weight loss and fitness shouldn't be about a short period of focus towards a target weight. It should be a string of small changes which add up to big improvement that you can sustain for the long term. 

Stopping booze & pizza for 3 months might help you lose weight for 3 months, but by christmas you'll put it back on and more unless you stick to it, so limited booze & pizza without starving yourself is a much better plan. 

You've already done the hard bit, which is starting those changes and hitting the gym. If you can keep that up you're all set :)

And don't worry about what shops write on their labels vs what your actual numbers are, just buy stuff that fits, and get it tailored if you need
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Sounds like you are doing the right thing. I've been years trying to lose weight for many years, I exercise a LOT but I eat too much and like all the crap food. I need to try harder.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Fat burning is key here, so if possible exercise early in the morning when you will burn more fat than later in the day when you're stocked up with glycogen. Walking can be very good
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    Good work so far dude, you are on the right track. Are you sure you're measuring your waist though and not your hips?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    Consistency is key. Personally I don't like to set target goals (such as lose 3 stone) until I have actually got into a daily rhythm of doing the activity (health eating and exercise in your case). So make the first goal just to perform the activity every day for 60 days without having a single day off. Do it consistently and form the lifestle habit. Then when you have achieved that goal, set more specific targets.

If you are having problems starting, plan for one day in the future (probably your day off if you work full-time) when you will tell yourself it is the most important thing you have to do that day. Ideally the only thing you have to do that day. Keep it small - 5 minutes  is enough. The important thing is that you do it and go through the motions of starting the habit - such as putting your exercise clothes on etc. Start small, form the habit, then build up from there.
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
    edited April 2018
    edited April 2018
    Ok SitRep

Went to New gym for induction last night. There's a branch of anytime fitness opened in town which I like the idea of as it's open 24hr. I walked in and was met by this oaf of a PT who could barely set two words together. The gym is enormous with gazzilions of machines, all the last tech with big internet screens on them. And every single machine and piece of equipment was full.

There must have been 80 people in there, and it was the most sterile unfriendly atmosphere I've ever experienced. This PT showed me up and down the length of the gym and then said "you have an hour free now to try all this stuff out" I said where do I start, everything is taken to which he said " just stand around and something will become free"

He turned his back, walked back to his office and I just walked right out the door and went back to my car. 

I didn't know what to do so I drove across town to a gym I went to for about 5 years  before we had kids, little tiny place run by and ex world championship body builder who I used to go fishing with. I looked in the window and saw him sat at the reception as he always used to eating his eggs and veg!! I buzzed the door and he let me in, he sort of recognized me (I'm fat now remember) and I told him what just happened. 

He said he'd lost a huge amount of clients to the new gym but knew they'd come back after a year.....the place hadn't changed, some newer gear, same friendly Atmos, same friendly owner.

He sorted me a deal, I signed up and went in and trained 

What a werid evening
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27000
    That sounds like a very odd evening that's potentially turned into a win. 

I massively hate the idea of a big gym. We're lucky enough to have a small but well-equipped one in our building, and there's never more than 10 people in there

The thought of going and standing around with 50+ other people makes me itch.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12365
    Glad you found a friendly gym, as a general comment to people who want to lose weight get fit - you don't need a gym, walking, running, press-ups etc are all free.  Youtube is on most peoples tvs and you can get workout classes, yoga lessons etc for free in your lounge.

One comment to the OP have you had health checked to make sure you are okay to just steam into a huge exercise regime?

Best of luck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5371
    FWIW as has been said already, the only thing that really works is "eat less, exercise more". How you do it is down to you and your situation/psychology.

What worked for me when I was an Official Fat Bastard (6'4" and probably well over 20 stone at peak pork, 46" trousers pushing 48" but like you hiding it reasonably well) was a combination of being ashamed to look in the mirror, and concern for my health.

Doing the 5:2 dropped me a couple of stone before I got bored, and then I switched to using MyFitnessPal.

I'd always thought I would hate "calorie counting" because it completely cuts against my psychology and brings out my "Screw you, I'm having that cream cake just because you say I can't" attitude. However, using MFP along with two or three friends, linking it to Endomondo (we'd been using that to track dog walks so we didn't over-walk the hound as a pup, and kept it up out of interest) and setting realistic goals meant I did actually get honest with myself, cut out the snacks, and gain a sense of achievement at hitting the targets. Which was balanced by a sense of joy when standing on the scales.

I also set myself a long term target (14 stone) and a reward when I hit it (something I'd hankered after for ages).  Hit the target about 18 months ago, got the reward 12 months ago.

Tied in with maintaining the weight loss have been a whole bunch of lifestyle changes - what we eat, portion control, trying to train myself not to comfort eat or get snacks as rewards/displacement activities.

A spectacularly stressful 6 months or so has seen some slippage owing to Too Much Shit, so I'm back on having to be good again (briefly touched 16 stone, now on the way down again). But it's easier doing that having made the other changes over a few years.

Regarding the waist size on trousers, I wish I had your experience. Either one of us has a weird body shape, or you don't mind having horribly tight trews :)  At 14 stone I got down to a comfortable, almost too loose 36" waist and was thinking about shooting for 34".  At nearly 16 stone the 36" trousers are a smidge tight for preference, but I'm bloody refusing to go back up having cleared out everything else (pretty much).  Either that or M&S jeans and EMP cargos are less dishonest than Next (unlikely, as Next always felt like they came up skinny on me).

Either way, good luck with being less of a chubster - sounds like you're back on the treadmill, anyway!
    Oh mate - I have the weirdest boddy shape.

All hips - I look like some weird Mr Men character
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5371
    edited April 2018
    How can you be all hips, an FB, and still fit into 38" waist trousers? I hate you (you bitch etc.).

I have cracking child-bearing hips and a 'substantial' (fat) arse and have always had to over-compensate in the waistband as a result. At uni I weighed about 10.5 stone, probably had a 28" waist, but had to buy 32" trousers just to get them over the arse ...

There's no justice in this world, I tell you, no justice.
    edited April 2018
    @snags I got down to about 14st in 2008 and still only just made it into a 36" waist......... ridiculous
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited April 2018
    my belly measures 38 (~12.5 st/5' 11") but I can get into 34" OK... seems totally illogical, cos if I tried 38" waist size they would just fall round my ankles??!

Just bought these and went for a 36" for added bagginess insurance and they fit perfick.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/9joAAOSwk~xZgEkk/s-l1600.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I'm on my 2nd bout of big weight loss , having previously lost 10 stone and put most of it back on again when I gave up smoking and got back in to bad habits .

This time I am determined to keep it off (although the impending Honeymoon in Florida will be a small setback) .

I go to the local gym 4-6 days a week and power-walk on the tread mill at a 15% incline at 11.8 km for an hour .

I wouldn't recommend this for anyone but it works for me as I have a long stride and have built up to this speed over the last year .

I've lost 6 stone this time (1 more and I'll be happy , 2 more and I'll be ecstatic) .

Coupled with the exercise I've used the "Hairy Dieters cookbooks" and when I'm on shift at work M&S "balanced for you" ready meals have been a god send ( good range/best tasting ready meals I've had/3 for £10).

I have accepted that I will always struggle with my weight but with my Dad dying of Diabetes related illness and it being prevalent in my family I'm doing whatever I can to reduce that risk . 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    I would recommend stopping drinking if that applies. Good luck
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024