Am I mental ?

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
    It cost my mate who’s a pilot well over £100,000 to qualify. He works for Ryanair and dislikes it immensely....
    What specifically does he dislike about it ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:
    It cost my mate who’s a pilot well over £100,000 to qualify. He works for Ryanair and dislikes it immensely....
    Is it the chavs?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ok, there has been some criticism about the support I have given, so let me put it another way.  @Emp_Fab , in 6 years time you will either be 60 with your ATPL , or 60 without it.  I believe that if you do not try, you are going to be that sad fkr down the pub telling everyone who are trying for there dreams how you regret not doing it.  No one really wants to be that guy.

If you don't want to learn, no one can help you; if you want to lear, no one can stop you?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24815
    Emp_Fab said:
    Hates the way the company treats him (Michael O’Leary doesn’t have a reputation for being the World’s best boss).

They can (or certainly could) choose to base you at any airport - he lives in Cheshire and spent a period flying out of Madrid....

Its not as well paid as you might imagine.

Boredom - he once described it as being much the same as being a bus driver.

It sounds a bit like getting a job in music - your life-long passion becomes a drudge if you do it day-to-day. He’d been into aviation since childhood incidentally...
     If you don't want to learn, no one can help you; if you want to lear, no one can stop you?
    They’re a bit cramped.  I’m more of a Boeing fan really.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd much rather regret not having done something, than be at the mercy of that cruel mistress remorse. 

The subtle difference between the nouns has caused me no end of mither in my life. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4180
    Emp_Fab said:
    They’re a bit cramped.  I’m more of a Boeing fan really.
    Full marks. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
     :3 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

Aye, sharp as a tack! :impressed:

• carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    If you're doing it just to fulfill that dream, then do it. If you're thinking of this as s new career that will pay off money wise in the end, you're mental
  • if i understand correctly, you are 54 and will be at least 56 before you qualify, it will cost you approx £100k before you can get a job as a pilot. You would have to retire from it at 65 mandatory. so the financial investment would be costing you about £11k for each year you could fly. from what ive read the average pay for a new pilot is about £40k (sometimes less) but rises with experience depending on airline to £80k.
    to me it doesnt sound a very financially good career move. But of course its your call and i wish you all the best whatever you decide. 
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    if i understand correctly, you are 54 and will be at least 56 before you qualify, it will cost you approx £100k before you can get a job as a pilot. You would have to retire from it at 65 mandatory. so the financial investment would be costing you about £11k for each year you could fly. from what ive read the average pay for a new pilot is about £40k (sometimes less) but rises with experience depending on airline to £80k.
    to me it doesnt sound a very financially good career move. But of course its your call and i wish you all the best whatever you decide. 
    That's waaaaaay to high - average starting salary in the UK for a newly qualified pilot is between £24-28k.

Highly experienced Captain salary will be from £55k upwards depending on hours.

The sky's the limit for Emp! (Terrible pun).
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • PC_Dave said:
    if i understand correctly, you are 54 and will be at least 56 before you qualify, it will cost you approx £100k before you can get a job as a pilot. You would have to retire from it at 65 mandatory. so the financial investment would be costing you about £11k for each year you could fly. from what ive read the average pay for a new pilot is about £40k (sometimes less) but rises with experience depending on airline to £80k.
    That's waaaaaay to high - average starting salary in the UK for a newly qualified pilot is between £24-28k.

Highly experienced Captain salary will be from £55k upwards depending on hours.

The sky's the limit for Emp! (Terrible pun).
    in that case its even more financially not viable.  tube train drivers earn more and dont pay for their training. (sorry, i do realise that isnt the point)
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

My mate's dad, Dave, (divorced, as expected) used to put an airline pilots uniform on and go down the pub and bullshit anyone who would listen that he'd had been forced to land his 707 at a nearby airfield and was awaiting repairs, or some such nonsense.

To his credit, he was actually pretty successful, and managed to shag quite a few women on the strength of it, although he confessed they were a bit disappointed to be porked in the back of his Mk2 Cortina estate rather than the 6-bedroom house overlooking the Thames in Henley he'd told them about.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I'd almost forgotten that I worked with a chap who married into a well off family who then paid for him to leave and do his commercial pilot training. I got the impression her family felt public service was beneath anyone related to them. 
    However, he came back to work after a couple of years as he didn't really like it in the end. I had no idea it cost so much before I read this Discussion so I presume his in laws somewhat resented him in the end, I knew it was a touchy subject I didn't know it was a £100k touchy subject :anguished: 

I couldn't even realise my dream of becoming a Tesco delivery driver so I'm still hoping to live vicariously through the Emp. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28400

I couldn't even realise my dream of becoming a Tesco delivery driver so I'm still hoping to live vicariously through the Emp. 
    He wants to be a pilot, not a vicar. Do pay attention!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

6-bedroom house overlooking the Thames in Henley

He'd need to own the airline, not work for it.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    randella said:

He probably told them he owned it, too!

randella said:

He probably told them he owned it, too!
    :)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I’ve never had a dream/passion like this, Emp, so I don’t totally get it, but I sort of get it..
    It seems to me that to get all the way, costs around 100 grand, and you’re about 50 grand short of that? And you’re a bit short on time.. Maybe I misread it.. 
    If you can get far enough that you don’t look back one day, and regret it, I’d be made up for you..
    Other than the not having a dream, I’m in a similar position, of recently inheriting some money. I’m thinking about how the rest of my time can be made easier, and less worrying. I’ve allowed myself a few grand for a really nice acoustic, and a computer that doesn’t take 20 minutes before I can read my emails.. The rest will help us have a more comfortable old age, hopefully.
    But, as I say, I’ve never had that dream, like you’ve always had.. 
    All the best, however it goes!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom