Beating GAS: share your stories (or pain)

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    I've also find that as soon as I make a breakthrough in my playing I realise how daft the whole gear conversation is anyway. 

Wis

16:10 

Couldn't agree more.

Ps still have chronic gas for an ES3xx though;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • St_HubbinsSt_Hubbins Frets: 189
    When I defaulted on my mortgage and my wife left me, I knew that something had to change. I had to accept that I was an addict. I put my family and friends through hell. Something had to give.

Then I spotted a '58 Les Paul Junior, and I thought...you know what? F**k 'em all.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    Since I started playing in a band again after several years break (kids, job, life etc) I became unhappy with my gear. It's taken me a good seven years of churning guitars, FX and amps to find what I'm happy with.

I have settled on three decent electrics, a comprehensive pedalboard that can do everything I want and a lightweight amp and cab that mean I save my back.

Playing in a band does partially satisfy the GAS as you tend to focus on usability rather than tone chasing. 
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Best way to cure it is to substitute a new  hobby with its own GAS requirements (photography, biking, cosplay, whatever)
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Recently I've been really into the idea of focusing on one main guitar and being actively in to wanting that (rather than just trying to force myself to settle for one) has worked in the short term for beating GAS.

Of course I've always had the normal type of GAS where we see loads of lovely guitars and want to have them because people like stuff but I had also got a bad kind where it was almost like an OCD obsession where I wanted to collect every type of guitar I could find and felt I had to have them all at my disposal rather than focusing on actually using the ones I had.