Gibson ES 330 - but with humbuckers...?

What's Hot
HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
edited April 2018 in Guitar
Been offered one of these at a very good price. Not sure about having humbuckers in it rather than P90s though.
Thoughts welcomed.
"Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    You can always change the pickups if you don't like them. You might even find that the humbuckers do what their title says and for that reason they should stay. :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250
    Was it built with humbuckers originally (a few were, but far fewer than are claimed) or was it modified for humbuckers (as is the case with most “specially ordered from the factory with humbuckers”). If it’s been modified you’re looking for a reduction in price as wood would have needed to be removed during the conversion. Depending on how well the conversion was done, it could be possible to convert back to P90s without the humbucker routes showing but it’ll never be “all original”. Can be a cheaper way to a great guitar though, it’s how I got my 1963 ES330.
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    Sorry but 330’s are P90s! That’s what makes them so sweet!
    How very rock and roll
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    It is brand new and the humbuckers are factory-fitted - sorry for not making that clear. 
    I know I could swap them out but I'm less keen on guitars that have been modded, as are a lot of buyers if I were to sell it once my GAS eased off....
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250
    Hattigol said:
    It is brand new and the humbuckers are factory-fitted - sorry for not making that clear. 
    I know I could swap them out but I'm less keen on guitars that have been modded, as are a lot of buyers if I were to sell it once my GAS eased off....
    No worries. I’m happy with “players grade” vintage provided it’s not used to mean “absolutely knackered”. Headstock repairs and changed parts don’t worry me too much. Mine had the replacement humbuckers replaced with Epi P90s before I got it so I can’t comment on how it sounded with humbuckers. I changed the Epi P90s for Lollars (and an Oil City loom) and it’s great. The lack of a centre block makes them lighter than a 335 and a bit more vibrant and responsive (to my ears) as well as much louder acoustically. It’ll feed back at the drop of a hat though!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27080
    One of these, I assume?  Long neck 330. I've always liked the idea, though I'm not sure how much it would feel weird compared with either a 335 or regular short-neck 330.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/Memphis/ES-330L-Humbucker.aspx

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    There’s a Phil X video somewhere on YouTube where he plays a vintage 330 with original humbuckers, it sounds wonderful and very much like a 330.  Those long neck 330’s on the other hand don’t seem to have the same sound as the real thing, so that neck would be the possible dealbreaker for me.

edited April 2018
    That's the one.
    I find 330s (and even 335s, to be honest) a bit light in feel so I'm happier with a Bigsby on them as they seem to give them a bit more ballast. 
    I have a 345, which I think is the same neck/body length so I'm not really put off by the long neck. Plus I don't really know what a 330 'should' sound like so I don't feel like the difference in sound from the long neck will put me at a disadvantage.
    £2,019. New. I need to just pull the trigger, don't I.....?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3219
    Hattigol said:
    £2,019. New. I need to just pull the trigger, don't I.....?
    Yes you do and then post lots of lovely pics of it for us all to drool over.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3171
    tFB Trader
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3219
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    If you don't like the humbuckers, then I really rate Seymour Duncan's 'phat cats' 
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    edited April 2018
    Go for it, this is my 64 330 with humbuckers

https://imgur.com/gallery/l5KJr

still not sure how to embed the picture with imgur!?
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    skippy76 said:

That is a beauty...
    RiftAmps said:
    Lovely. But not a big fan of modded guitars really. 
    Love your amps by the way - but using a modelling amp as I got fed up of crazy bastard volume levels!
    RiftAmps said:
    That is lovely. I would if you'd lend me the money with no stipulation as to when it has to be paid back.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    skippy76 said:

I don't like the colour
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    RiftAmps said:
    That is lovely. I would if you'd lend me the money with no stipulation as to when it has to be paid back.
    I'm afraid the Vintage and Rare website is a bit out of date. A long time favourite guitarist of mine is Emily Remler. Her main Electric was a 330 and she switched the P90's out for Humbuckers. I bought this guitar over month ago - thought it was a bit of a bargain given the price of the current 330 model. The guitar is in excellent nick for something that's 50 years old.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    really would be an unusuable guitar live at realistic volume. Want HBs - get a 335 with the center block.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>