eBay Content: So now you know...

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030

"Has some gig damage as shown in pictures. This actually makes the guitar better..."

This.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Yep. That crack around the volume dial is a massive improvement, don't know why they don't make 'em that way.

Also, no strings is surely an upgrade?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    edited April 2018
    Fuengi said:
    Yep. That crack around the volume dial is a massive improvement
    And when he sends it out in a gigbag via the 12 quid courier, there’ll be a few more cracks in it. Mind you, that’ll make it even better!!! 
  • samothy01samothy01 Frets: 33
    Oh lordy lord I love eBay sellers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Fuengi said:

Also, no strings is surely an upgrade?
    It depends on whether Zac Wylde is going to start playing it or not...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    Not met it's reserve at £152!!!

JEES I'm out of the loop on these values.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030

Well, this sort of bollocks is the end result of the "mojo", "relic", "roadworn", blahlbahblah school of cobblers.

Personally, I love guitars/gear with history/patina, but the notion that somehow, damage/wear adds to the percieved value/improves desirability wears a bit thin sometimes.

I'm waiting for the day when this  kind of thing appears on eBay with attendant bullshit - "yeah, dude, this Epi's got so much mojo - it's so relic-ed that it's unplayable".

:)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader

"Has some gig damage as shown in pictures. This actually makes the guitar better..."

This.

that makes every used guitar I have in stock better - wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099

Well, this sort of bollocks is the end result of the "mojo", "relic", "roadworn", blahlbahblah school of cobblers.

Personally, I love guitars/gear with history/patina, but the notion that somehow, damage/wear adds to the percieved value/improves desirability wears a bit thin sometimes.

I'm waiting for the day when this  kind of thing appears on eBay with attendant bullshit - "yeah, dude, this Epi's got so much mojo - it's so relic-ed that it's unplayable".

:)
    There’s your problem... the end has come off your handle... 
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    "This actually makes the guitar better..."

Dear seller, that actually makes you look like an idiot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    I could not resist sending the seller a question. "In what exact way does the damage make the guitar better?" No answer so far. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    I could not resist sending the seller a question. "In what exact way does the damage make the guitar better?" No answer so far. :)
    It’s Easter holidays... the seller is probably up the park with his mates, or hanging about in the shopping centre!..
    I take your point but I know a few guitar owners in my area in their mid-Forties who still choose guitars for their appearance before their sounds, playability or suitability to whatever genre(s) they are likely to play in the near future.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9674
    Apart from, just possibly, denim jeans I can't think of any other item where a bit of wear and tear makes it more desirable. You wouldn't choose rusty and scratched car over a nice shiny one. Same for electronics, furniture, watches, etc. Yet somehow the guitar industry has managed to convince us that them towing a Strat round the car park is, somehow, a good thing.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Scratches and dents remove mass. This makes it lighter and better tone, obvs.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    HAL9000 said:
    Apart from, just possibly, denim jeans I can't think of any other item where a bit of wear and tear makes it more desirable. You wouldn't choose rusty and scratched car over a nice shiny one. Same for electronics, furniture, watches, etc. Yet somehow the guitar industry has managed to convince us that them towing a Strat round the car park is, somehow, a good thing.
    Well, the reproduction antique furniture market started it first I guess. All that dark brown wood and fake wormholing.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • NickNick Frets: 98
    boogieman said:
    Fuengi said:
    Yep. That crack around the volume dial is a massive improvement
    And when he sends it out in a gigbag via the 12 quid courier, there’ll be a few more cracks in it. Mind you, that’ll make it even better!!! 
    That is EXACTLY the scenario I pictured, haha!
    ... seller question ... UPDATE
    The vendor's reply was, "it gives it more character."

We are discussing an Epiphone Les Wylde Zakk Paul. It probably needs all of the *character* that it can muster. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4917
    "Happy strumming" LOL - what, with no strings on it?