PSA Vintage 80’s Tokai Collection

What's Hot
jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2467
I regularly go to this site for parts but recently noticed they have a page of vintage Tokais for sale. Must be selling someone’s collection for them. Some very nice guitars and I know a lot of you guys love them so thought I’d share! 
https://www.faberguitar.com/index.php?k=64&lang=eng
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2467

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

My two faves
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    I'll never forget, about 30 years ago, after being vouched for by a friend, I was given an invite to a Buddhist Monastery here in Scotland, after being told, oldly enough to me at the time, that the Monks there had a very impressive collection of Vintage Guitars. On arrival, after greetings, I was invited into a large room which was full of said vintage Guitars, but oddly was also absolutely wall to wall with brand new Tokai Guitars. They had more Guitars than a music shop.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    MikeS said:
    I'll never forget, about 30 years ago, after being vouched for by a friend, I was given an invite to a Buddhist Monastery here in Scotland, after being told, oldly enough to me at the time, that the Monks there had a very impressive collection of Vintage Guitars. On arrival, after greetings, I was invited into a large room which was full of said vintage Guitars, but oddly was also absolutely wall to wall with brand new Tokai Guitars. They had more Guitars than a music shop.
    Until now i’d never considered moving to Scotland and becoming a monk... 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    MikeS said:
    Would like to know more about how they came to being there given that Buddism has an anti materialistic ideology
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    MikeS said:
    Would like to know more about how they came to being there given that Buddism has an anti materialistic ideology
    I keep telling myself that GAS is just another step towards enlightenment.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drool. Cheers for sharing this link. Some super nice examples there.
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1209
    Wow, my GAS list just got extended. Less than £30 to ship to UK too!
    Link to my trading feedback
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    mbe said:
    I keep telling myself that GAS is just another step towards enlightenment.
    Amen, brother.

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5040
    MikeS said:
    Until now i’d never considered moving to Scotland and becoming a monk... 
    They started collecting and then just couldn’t kick the habit... 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Are the Les Pauls any good?  The LS60s are £1200 and as far as I can tell they were bottom of Tokai's line at the time of manufcture? Seems a bit pricey.
  • The prices are in line with other dealers’ prices. I’ve never owned a 60 but I’ve had a 50 (sold to ellwood) and it was a superb LP. I currently have a 1980 LS80 and a 1981 LS100. Both are stunning guitars. On the Tokai forum you can see a spec sheet for all the 78-82 era range from the 50 right up to the 200.

While it’s true that vintage Tokai LPs have shot up in price in recent years they still represent incredible value for money next to a modern Historic R8 or 9. In 1980 Tokai were still not using CNC. Where else are you going to score a hand built single cut for less than 2 grand?

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    They are excellent guitars, the LS80 is worth the extra over the 60 'proper' headstock angle, nitro, 1-piece back  My LS80 is still my goto guitar
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    I can only assume just like any church they need to make money. At the time I was told that to become a Monk you give up your worldly goods, and all the Guitars "given up" end up in this particular Scottish Monastery, as one of the resident Monks was a bit of a Guitar guy. I'm guessing there's a 'white goods' Monk, and a 'Jewellery' Monk in a Monastery somewhere in the world. :3  I have absolutely no doubt that there are other older Scottish forum members that have visited at some point.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom