Gretsch G6118T - strings/intonation

What's Hot
HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
Tempted by one of these (or an ES330) - there are some cracking deals on them in ivory/charcoal.
The blurb says that it has a pinned bridge intonated for standard 0.011s. I prefer to play with 0.010s - is that going to make much of a difference if I switch the strings and if so, is it an easy fix?
"Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    Get the players edition. Had one great guitars!
    You will be fine with 10s with no messing about but remember the scale length and these make 11's feel more like 10s anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    I've been looking out for a deal on these for ages but can't find your cracking deal.

I also had assumed they were 25.5" scale, now I learn they are 24.6" I like them a little less!
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    edited April 2018
    I've been looking out for a deal on these for ages but can't find your cracking deal.

I also had assumed they were 25.5" scale, now I learn they are 24.6" I like them a little less!
    Project Music have them on their website at £1,850 and I think Dawsons have them reduced as well. Tried one and like it but having played 0.10s for decades, anything thicker just seems odd - even with the different scale length...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited April 2018
    The bridge being pinned only means you can take all 6 strings off and the wooden block that the actual bridge sits on won't move. The saddles will still move forwards and backwards as normal and easily intonate between 10's or 11's.

My Gretsch 2620 is floating until later this year when I'll have it pinned but it's not too difficult to use masking tape to hold it in place when strings are off.

I use 10-52 so I get a slightly heavier feel on the bass strings but I can still play the treble strings easily and I can easily bend a tone and a half on them just like the solid bodies.
    After I had a bone nut and a set up by @SteveRobinson it plays like a Les Paul with a big hollow body.

Hope that helps.

https://i.imgur.com/X4RqL97.jpg

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Looks like they have the solid rocking bar on now so intonation's a bit of a compromise anyway, but you could always drop a TOM on there if needed like ^^
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    edited April 2018
    Corvus said:
    Looks like they have the solid rocking bar on now so intonation's a bit of a compromise anyway, but you could always drop a TOM on there if needed like ^^
    Heh... despite really liking the idea and look of these - no intonation adjustment (or even a compensated bridge) on a scale shorter than a Les Paul - isn't that a recipe for disaster?  Or do they not expect Gretsch players to venture up the dusty end?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72354
    modellista said:

Heh... despite really liking the idea and look of these - no intonation adjustment (or even a compensated bridge) on a scale shorter than a Les Paul - isn't that a recipe for disaster?  Or do they not expect Gretsch players to venture up the dusty end?
    If it's pinned in the *right* place, it's surprising how tolerant they are of string gauges - in any case, the intonation will only ever be an approximation because the bar is straight and has no offset between the G and D (or B and G with a wound 3rd) strings.

And because it has a Bigsby it will only ever be approximately in tune anyway :).

(Actually not true, but someone would say it sooner or later ;).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

It's a bit of a minefield of pros & cons, intonation in general's never perfect anyway, solid bridges do sound great, tradition & looks, all of that. With these big-bodies there's only so far high you can easily reach which probably helps make them more usable. But yeah I'd say usable if not totally ideal.

To me the Compton bridge is great, it's solid (or a chambered option) but pretty well compensated, makes a big old Gretsch sing. I've fitted them on other archtops as well. Intonation was good, I could reach up high (relatively) & do chords, was all good (though better when the exchange rate was nice and USPS post used to mostly slip customs!). But with these mostly the base wants to be movable for intonation.

• kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    Gretsches  like this sound so much better I think with heavier strings. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72354
    kt66 said:
    Gretsches  like this sound so much better I think with heavier strings. 
    I wouldn’t put anything less than 11s with a wound 3rd on one, personally - they just sound right, and with the long string path they don’t actually feel that heavy. I know some people do prefer lighter ones though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein