What's my git-box worth? **Now With Photos!**

What's Hot
deloreandelorean Frets: 224
edited April 2018 in Guitar

I’m just wondering if I could get a ballpark valuation from you knowledgeable folks on my strat.

EDIT - Now with pics!  here:  https://flic.kr/s/aHsmfXmiTe

I lied, there is a *small* chip in the poly on the back but it is literally only in the poly and hasn't gone as far as the wood.

It’s a Mexican Fender, Classic Player 50s model, 2 tone burst.  In really good condition. 

Pickups have been upgraded – took the pups from my US 50th anniversary Strat and popped those into in the neck and middle, and there’s a DiMarzio PAF Pro in the bridge (I was going for a Richie Sambora kinda sound for when I’m feeling a bit bluesy)

The scratchplate has been replaced with a 3ply black one to accommodate the PAF Pro (and also because I think it just looks nicer!)

Alder body, 21 frets, maple neck and board (9.5” radius, soft V profile). Gotoh vintage locking tuners – this thing stays in tune like a mo’fo!

No dings etc, it hasn’t really been played enough to be honest as I tend to gravitate towards my Floyd-equipped strat more.

No case (but I could probably throw in a brand new Gator hard case for £50)

Any ideas on what it might be worth?  I was kinda hoping to get somewhere around £400 but is that wishful thinking?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    The modifications that you have described will restrict the guitar's appeal considerably.

The exact same three pickups on a white or Parchment 'guard would probably prove more acceptable to the guitar buying public. 

The economically smart option is to restore the guitar to near as possible original specification prior to sale.

If you have no further need of the B/W/B pickguard and the American pickups, sell them separately. It may take longer but you will eventually raise more money that way.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • deloreandelorean Frets: 224
     Yup I totally agree, although sadly that ship has sailed as I no longer have the old pickups and scratchplate :(  
    I have something very similar. I would like to delude myself that it is worth £450, including a Kinsman tweed-ish case. The chances of me actually getting that figure any time soon are slim. 

delorean said:
    I tend to gravitate towards my Floyd-equipped strat more.
    Take a leaf out of the @HarrySeven book. Trade the Stratocaster that you would like to believe is worth £450 for a Floyd Rose-equiped Rawk machine that the vendor would like to believe is also worth £450. 

Speaking of the Seven, it is entirely possible that Old Harry may even be up for exactly that sort of a deal. 
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030

Speaking of the Seven, it is entirely possible that Old Harry may even be up for exactly that sort of a deal. 
    Sadly, nothing Floyd-ish available, Old Bean... :(

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

All gorn?

Free at last. Free at last. Thank Clapton Almighty. You are free at last.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    The problem with mods is that an upgrade for you is probably the opposite for someone who is searching for that model of guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    The problem with mods is that an upgrade for you is probably the opposite for someone who is searching for that model of guitar.
    So true :(
  • If I was looking for a strat (and I have been).. I'd want 3 single coils... you've put this guitar essentially in the similar ball park as a Charvel.. you may have to price accordingly.. try £400 if thats what you want.. you can only try....
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    the issue with upgrades is that if you add say £100 worth of parts to a guitar, you don't add £100 worth of overall value to the  guitars actual selling price - In fact if you think about it, in your instance you've added some value with the 2 x USA p/ups and the SD humbucker, but you've also took some value away as the original p/ups are probably worth £30-50 a set - so still a net gain overall

The next issue is that it might appeal to someone as it is now , but equally others will not be interested

I'd still be surprised if you don't pull £400 with the case on a private sale - subject to condition + fret wear
    If I was looking for a strat (and I have been).. I'd want 3 single coils... you've put this guitar essentially in the similar ball park as a Charvel.. you may have to price accordingly.. try £400 if thats what you want.. you can only try....
    Thanks man - Yeah it all seemed like such a great idea at the time - and to be honest I still really love the sound of the guitar and the way it plays, I'm just trying to make room (and funds!) for a new toy and something had to go - otherwise it'd be staying firmly put!

I may lower my expectations a little, cross my fingers and list it for £350
    edited April 2018
    D'oh, I forgot to mention I also changed one of the tone controls to a TBX control.  

Kicking myself for dicking about with it so much now, I think this might end up being tough to shift.
    tFB Trader
    delorean said:
    D'oh, I forgot to mention I also changed one of the tone controls to a TBX control.  

Kicking myself for dicking about with it so much now, I think this might end up being tough to shift.
    I don't see why - the overall vibe is of a good guitar - some won't like it as it is but others won't mind - It is not as though it is wrecked or anything stupid
  • I agree, It's still a very nice guitar.. If I was in the market I would consider it at that £350 price point..  a replacement plate to revert to 3 singles wouldn't break the bank.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

delorean said:

I don't see why - the overall vibe is of a good guitar - some won't like it as it is but others won't mind - It is not as though it is wrecked or anything stupid
    I just wish I had kept the stock parts to be able to return it to it's former self - The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to realise that the general appeal has been limited a lot more by my mods
    tFB Trader
    delorean said:
    delorean said:

I just wish I had kept the stock parts to be able to return it to it's former self - The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to realise that the general appeal has been limited a lot more by my mods
    don't expect any guitar to sell within days and on a first listing - no shortage of guitars for sale out there - but don't see yours as a no hoper
    Thanks for all the feedback and advice guys, I'll get this listed later today and hope for the best! =)
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I’d be interested in that 
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    I think the Player models, with the non original trem design, lend themselves better to a h/s/s configuration. As such, you haven't 'ruined' anything with the mods.