Opinions on this Greco?

What's Hot
ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
I've been building up to dipping my toe back in the Les Paul waters after an underwhelming '50s Tribute a couple of years ago.  Also I've been on the lookout for a birth year guitar as it's my 40th birthday soon.  This ticks both boxes...

1978 Greco EG-700 for £800.  Looks like a nice bit of figuring on the top without being too bling, I generally prefer Japanese guitars over anything else (this would mean I've gone Jap for Strat, Tele, and LP), and not too pricey.  There's a 1978 Gibson LP Deluxe near me for £2k and it looks grotty with a 3-piece top and neck.  This looks much more desirable.

Anyone with a more expert eye than me care to advise yea or nay?

The Reverb listing is here.  (please don't buy it!)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Whilst I couldn't say anything about that particular guitar, I've got an 85 EG-600 which is fantastic (and was also, funnily enough, a replacement for an underwhelming Tribute). Keith at Gas Station was great to deal with and he's generally very happy to do a deal so nothing lost in coming in with a slightly lower offer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    My Greco is a keeper best lp I have ever owned 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    The pre 1980 Greco's can be a bit hit and miss, I wouldn't pay that much for one unless I'd played it and it was amazing.  +1 for Keith though, top bloke and has some lovely guitars in
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    John_A said:
    The pre 1980 Greco's can be a bit hit and miss, I wouldn't pay that much for one unless I'd played it and it was amazing.  +1 for Keith though, top bloke and has some lovely guitars in
    Very true  the post 80s Japanese ones tho .. Man better than most guitars. 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    I'm in Carlisle and have a Seventy Seven Standard that you're welcome to try
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    edited April 2018 tFB Trader
    the super reals get really expensive, i had a 1980 eg1000 and a 1989 59 1000d mint collection,  sold the super real because i made my own and still have the mint collection, plays and sounds great but a bit heavier than I'd like, cost £750 maybe 5 or so years ago, doesn't get played as it's sentimental and I'd never sell it

I bought these over gibson btw

Look out for a later one,  they're cheaper and look for info on japan guitars but he is very expensive to buy from,  ebay is pretty good with people selling from japan
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    John_A said:
    Is this because by then they were doing the Super Real and Mint Collection ones?  Did they take a step forward in quality?
    the super reals get really expensive, i had a 1980 eg1000 and a 1989 59 1000d mint collection,  sold the super real because i made my own and still have the mint collection, plays and sounds great but a bit heavier than I'd like, cost £750 maybe 5 or so years ago, doesn't get played as it's sentimental and I'd never sell it

Look out for a later one,  they're cheaper and look for info on japan guitars but he is very expensive to buy from,  ebay is pretty good with people selling from japan
    Have been looking on the Japanguitars site, he's got some later Grecos for around the same money - nice flame tops and Dry Z pickups which I've heard are the real deal.  The one fourth row down on the left (1989 EG59-70 with Dry Z) looks pretty good for the same money as the '78.  
    Schnozz said:
    I'm in Carlisle and have a Seventy Seven Standard that you're welcome to try
    Cheers, I had spotted that.  Looks very nice.  Certainly on the list, and Carlisle is only 40 mins or so from me.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I like the top.
    tFB Trader
    John_A said:
    Is this because by then they were doing the Super Real and Mint Collection ones?  Did they take a step forward in quality?
    super reals are early eighties mint collection is later more late eighties, can't remember dates, people have a much higher regard the super reals, they had Brazilian fretboards and nibs etc but no where near vintage spec if that makes a difference 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    edited April 2018
    as far as Grecos go, I'd try to get either a super real model (1979-1982) or mint collection (1982-into the 90s).

@modellista - the G59-70 you see there in Mark's page, doesn't have DRY Zs it has DRY 1982, which is a different pickup.

Also the seller that has that Greco for sale, has at least one guitar for sale that is misrepresented. And he is aware of it.
    edited April 2018 tFB Trader
    anything with dry z pickups will sell for silly money

I'd go with what they weigh first anything around 9lb would be good, i like the eg59 65, most are built the same just the pickups are different, I'm not sure if it's nitro though but I'd stick a nice paf set in that one 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

Have been looking on the Japanguitars site, he's got some later Grecos for around the same money - nice flame tops and Dry Z pickups which I've heard are the real deal.  The one fourth row down on the left (1989 EG59-70 with Dry Z) looks pretty good for the same money as the '78.  
    They are not DRY-Z's they are DRY-1982's.  Good pickups, but not DRY-Z's