How do you know when a guitar is ready for a refret

What's Hot
neilgneilg Frets: 94
I've had my Jem for about 10 years so don't really remember how high the frets were to begin with and it had a crown and level done nearly a year ago.  The frets are starting to get some dints and flat tops in the common bending places.

It's the only guitar I've had long enough and that's been played enough to have noticeable fret wear.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It needs a refret when a further fret level would mean the frets were too low for you to be happy playing it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14264
    tFB Trader
    is the wear causing any buzzing issues - normally a low fret will cause buzzing when you fret that note as the string now rattles against the next fret above that - hope that makes sense

Obviously any guitar will only take so many fret dresses - each time it is dressed, you will be taking height away and that will have an impact on how it feels to you

You can't say a guitar needs a refret after X amount of years - dirty strings is one of the biggest causes of worn frets plus some players do squeeze the strings a bit harder - clean strings and a light touch and it will generally go on longer

Pics might help any of us to give better advice

Does it feel or sound wrong to you know and impede your playing ?
  • neilgneilg Frets: 94
    That makes sense, when I had it levelled the guy did say he had to take it down quite far due to how low some frets were due to bending.  As I said some frets are getting flat tops and it's becoming noticeable that I don't always get enough finger under the string when bending.
    I'll try and take some pics later.
    tFB Trader
    neilg said:
    That makes sense, when I had it levelled the guy did say he had to take it down quite far due to how low some frets were due to bending.  As I said some frets are getting flat tops and it's becoming noticeable that I don't always get enough finger under the string when bending.
    if a groove was say 1mm deep, then to eliminate that, then obviously to acquire a crowned level fret again, then it would require at least 1mm to be taken off the overall height - You've probably got use to this new fret dress now, so only playing a new JEM will probably show you how it use to feel - any guitar can only take so much before it starts to 'impede' your playing performance and how it feels to you

If played a lot and you've had it 10 years then chances are a re-fret might be required
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    neilg said:
    I don't always get enough finger under the string when bending.
    I think that's one symptom. Another might be that your note chokes off because the fret is so low that your finger is trying to press the string hard against the fingerboard in order to make the string have sufficient contact with the fret. I get that on my LP above the 12th fret.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    For some players the height after a fret dress may be too low for comfort/their technique if it gets lower than 1mm (40 thou), even though vintage wire is that size to begin with.
    On a Jem (depending which model) the frets were usually 1.35-1.4mm tall (55 thou) which makes legato technique easier.

You could use a ruler and a set of feeler gauges to measure if you want to be sure of the exact height left of the fretwire.

If it were my own guitar and it really felt like it was worn, and it was a guitar I really liked or depended upon, I'd treat it to a well done refret with tall wire like it had originally. That way I will be getting the full enjoyment out of the guitar that I spent a lot to buy in the first place.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I'm strictly a home guitarist so I only depend upon it for enjoyment but I really like it, it's a 7VWH.
    tFB Trader
    neilg said:
    I'm strictly a home guitarist so I only depend upon it for enjoyment but I really like it, it's a 7VWH.
    I think home of live is not the point - It is more about will the guitar do what you want it to - If you like the guitar and want it to perform to its maximum ability, then you have the right for it to be set up accordingly - Hope that sounds okay - I'm sure you are discerning about the guitar and the way you want to maximise the whole connection between you and the guitar - A bad set-up or fret wear can diminish that potential - hard to fully evaluate without seeing it - I dare say you are slightly concerned the fact that you have raised the question - Not sure if you have any good tech in your area, and/or fellow musician who can also evaluate it for you