Neck width on Fenders

guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
edited April 2018 in Guitar
Are MIM standard necks less wide tha MIA standard?  Or is it just general tolerances that my MIA neck feels fractionally wider.

And as a follow on - is it possible to fit a slightly wider neck in a standard Fender neck pocket or does that kind of determine the maximum width without modification?  Seems like a pretty snug fit in the neck pocket.

I've got quite used to playing slightly wider necks, and have also been playing bass a lot recently.  Not going to rush out and buy a new neck any time soon but just wondering really.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    You can't fit a wider neck at the body end without either modifying the pocket or getting a custom neck made with a side overhang, which looks very odd but seems to work OK!

It's the width at the nut end which varies normally. As far as I know the MIM and US specs are the same, but I would need to check.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The nut widths are very slightly different, with the US being slightly wider.  

42mm on the MIM and 42.8mm on the MIA.

But what's confusing is the string feels closer to the edge of the fretboard on the MIM, despite the in theory narrower nut.
    The nut widths are very slightly different, with the US being slightly wider.  

42mm on the MIM and 42.8mm on the MIA.

But what's confusing is the string feels closer to the edge of the fretboard on the MIM, despite the in theory narrower nut.
    That's what you would expect if the string spacing is the same and the overall nut width is narrower.

The string spacing can vary too, and even a tiny difference has quite a big effect on how it feels - as far as I know the nuts are pre-cut, so the string spacing will always be the same (allowing for manufacturing tolerances, but those will be much tighter than for the neck width), then fitted to the neck, then the final neck sanding done, so it's the distance from the strings to the sides of the neck which will then vary.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited April 2018
    So is the string spacing (supposed to be) the same despite the nut width differences?

And if so, does that imply fitting an MIA/MIA spec neck with closer to 43mm nut width would (in theory) make a worthwhile difference.
    So is the string spacing (supposed to be) the same despite the nut width differences?
    I think it will be, although I don't have any to measure. (I'm not in the shop today.)

And if so, does that imply fitting an MIA/MIA spec neck with closer to 43mm nut width would (in theory) make a worthwhile difference.
    It may be easier to replace the nut, and deliberately narrow the string spacing slightly - that will probably be less noticeable than the increase in space at the sides.

It will also bring the strings in a bit at the body end, although only microscopically!

• It'd certainly be cheaper to replace the nut.

I haven't made my own nut yet but I'm considering learning at some point soon.  I don't expect that my first few goes will be that successful though.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    Bear in mind that Mexican and US Strats have different bridge saddle spacing too.
  • This Tele has an Evertune bridge on it.  I had always assumed this would just be a standard Fender spacing.

From their FAQ:

"WHAT IS THE STRING SPACING?

The saddle to saddle spacing is 0.41 inches (10.4mm) on average. The saddles are floating and as such do have some side to side mobility so the spacing can vary a tiny bit from this average but is usually right about on the average."

This doesn't state if there's a difference in spacing between Fender or Gibson ET models.

The Fender US bridges are apparently 55.5mm spacing, which gives 9.25mm bet ween saddles.  MIA bridges apparently 54mm spacing which gives 9mm between saddles.

Unless I'm not understanding the maths, it would then imply the issue is the evertune bridge is enough wider on a Fender, especially a MIM one, to make it feel like you're nearer the edges?

I don't this issue on my Evertune LTD, but the neck is clearly wider.  My MIM Tele is still playable and the strings don't fall off the edges, but I feel like I'm near the edge which on the high E feels a bit less supported than for example playing the LTD.

• CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 761
    edited April 2018
    Strats and Tele's traditionally have different spacing at the bridge, 54mm on Tele's and 56mm (approx) on Strats. Many modern Strats (i.e not reissues) have 52.5mm spacing at the bridge e.g US Std/ Pro/ Elite and Mex Std, and also Mex Classic Players with the two point trems. All Tele's with the bridge pickup suspended from the bridge plate seem to retain the 54mm bridge spacing.
  • Also, remember that the width of the neck at the heel on Strats and Tele's is nominally 55.5mm, but can vary a bit. For example, some Japanese guitars have necks approximately 57mm at the heel. If the neck is slightly wider at the heel, and/or the bridge is spaced less wide, then it will bring the strings in from the edge of the neck (assuming nut cut correctly too), and will affect the feel somewhat.
    Strats and Tele's traditionally have different spacing at the bridge, 54mm on Tele's and 56mm (approx) on Strats. Many modern Strats (i.e not reissues) have 52.5mm spacing at the bridge e.g US Std/ Pro/ Elite and Mex Std, and also Mex Classic Players with the two point trems. All Tele's with the bridge pickup suspended from the bridge plate seem to retain the 54mm bridge spacing.
    Apart from the USA Standard which uses the same saddles as the USA Standard Strat...