Bigger strap pin/button for Les Paul ?

What's Hot
lentolento Frets: 116
Don't want to use a straplock system nor the Grolsch type rubber (there's no room in the case to leave the strap on) and the idea of unscewing every time is not something I want to do .... 
Why are these strap buttons so small - particularly the upper bout ?

So thinking to find a bigger strap pin .....

Have seen a few oversized buttons but unsure if the diameter hole is big enough to accomodate Gibson's screw - the Gotoh ones won't because my yamaha uses them and the screw is much shorter and thinner.

Has anyone else been bothered by this - any suggestions ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22864
    You could go the PRS route and use Fender bass string retainers as strap buttons.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    I use these on my LP – quick to take on and off, and haven't failed on me

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1726
    I know what you mean, I immediately changed the tiny strap buttons on my LP when I owned it for strap locks.

Can I ask why you would need to unscrew the strap everytime? - Strap locks, like the small Schaller ones, or the Dunlop ones just unclip from the guitar in about half a second - you don't need to leave the strap attached to the guitar all the time.
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    lento said:
     (there's no room in the case to leave the strap on) 

Tee hee hee you said strap on
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lentolento Frets: 116
    @Bennyboy-UK, referring to the Grolsch ....:)
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1726
    ahhhhh
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72355
    The Grolsch washers come off very easily if you want them to, but the rotary plastic locks paganskins posted are even better - I actually think better than metal straplocks, since they keep the strap closer to the body and don't involve changing the screw, which weakens the thread in the wood.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    ICBM said:
    The Grolsch washers come off very easily if you want them to, but the rotary plastic locks paganskins posted are even better - I actually think better than metal straplocks, since they keep the strap closer to the body and don't involve changing the screw, which weakens the thread in the wood.
    They're not the prettiest things but do disappear against a black strap (or strap ends), there are also straps with the same type of mechanism built into the ends.
  • lentolento Frets: 116
    Thanks guys :) have just ordered a Dunlop lok strap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    I changed the buttons/pins for dunlop removables. One press of the sunken button and it's off/on. Guitar sits perfectly in the case and hangs safely around my neck. I don't leap about doing the pogo these days but I'm very comfortable with the Dunlops on all my electrics except the Lite Ashe Tele which has oversize buttons as standard.

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5375
    I use a Planet Waves strap with an integrated locking mechanism on mine.

Originally fitted traditional strap locks, with hollow pins and pull-release gizmos on the strap, but the screw into the lower bout was weedy compared to the Gibson one and started to work loose, so went back to OEM and the daft strap approach.

It does mean you're stuck with whatever straps Planet Waves make with the mechanism on, but it's not too bad a strap:

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/accessories-c2/straps-c54/planet-waves-planet-lock-cotton-black-guitar-strap-50ctpl00-p7482

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5375
    I use a Planet Waves strap with an integrated locking mechanism on mine.

Originally fitted traditional strap locks, with hollow pins and pull-release gizmos on the strap, but the screw into the lower bout was weedy compared to the Gibson one and started to work loose, so went back to OEM and the daft strap approach.

It does mean you're stuck with whatever straps Planet Waves make with the mechanism on, but it's not too bad a strap:

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/accessories-c2/straps-c54/planet-waves-planet-lock-cotton-black-guitar-strap-50ctpl00-p7482