Hello and NGD!

What's Hot
TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
Although I'm getting on a bit I'm still as enthused about gear as I was when I was 14.........!

I'm a big Japanese guitar fan but I do also have Fender and Gibson as well as three custom built guitars but I really do have a soft spot for Tokai and Yamaha!

I bought this Yamaha SG1820 a couple of weeks ago and to be honest it has blown me away. I have an original SG1000 from 83 and prefer it to the 2000 because of the set neck. It's a warmer sound on the SG1000 to me.

Yamaha have done all the mods I would have done myself on the original series and it's just a great guitar.

I went to buy a Revstar but tried this and just had to find the funds. The Revstar was great too but this blew me away and I wasn't expecting that.
I'm a modder so the Gotoh locking tuners lasted about 4 hours! Replaced them with Tonepros I had which match the binding and the other hardware. Don't care a fig about re-sale as I buy them for me to use.

Thanks for looking.

Here it is with it's pals!

0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    Very nice and a nice addition to that family......nothing wrong with keeping the passion....I get more GAS the older I get....I've come to the conclusion buying guitars is the only vice I have left
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030

Welcome! :)

You'll find there's a fair bit of Yamaha SG love on here (myself included!).

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 537
    That semi in the middle has given me a semi...  <3
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806

Welcome! :)

You'll find there's a fair bit of Yamaha SG love on here (myself included!).
    Agreed - love Yamaha SGs. Congratulations - and welcome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    Thanks for the welcome guys! Very much appreciated.

The semi is a SAS1500 from 1994. It plays and sounds great but the neck is way too slim for me so it doesn't get much use. Bought it untried so it's my own fault.
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2940
    Wow - what a lovely bunch of Yamahas! 

I've always had a soft spot for the Yamaha SG - I owned an SG700 in the 80s. Last year I was lucky enough to grab an SG1802 Gold Top from GG when they were knocking them out for almost half-price. I don't think I could've ever justified one at full price... So glad I got it - the 18xx series are amazing. The fit and finish, tone from the P90s, and playability are all amazing. 11 months later it's still my favourite. Now I'd love to have a black or white 1820 to go with it - but I don't think I'll get lucky twice.

Hope you'll get as much from your new SG as I'm still getting from mine! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    Cheers Bigsby!

Mine was almost half price too and I'm the other way around....I would love the P90 version but also unlikely to be able to afford one.
    I can't put mine down. It sounds amazing, clean it is big and open yet with gain it is so focused. Very impressed with the SD 59's in the guitar.