Odd sales tactics.. Ebay/gumtree

What's Hot
hasslehamhassleham Frets: 607
I saw this ESP come up on gumtree last week and it took the guy a whole week to upload any photos. He was originally asking for £1350 ish but has now bumped his asking price up to £1899..

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/esp-custom-horizon-excellent-condition-plus-hard-case/1293682265

The same guitar also appears to be on Ebay but the asking price is £1100 and the description is more detailed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESP-Horizon-Electric-Guitar-Mystic-Black-Upgraded-saddles/332603401505?hash=item4d70b52521:g:lSQAAOSwALtajJsS&autorefresh=true

The gumtree ad says the guitar is in Manchester, and the Ebay ad says it's in Croydon.

Seems odd. I can't understand the logic of listing a guitar in two places with such a massive price difference..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Seems weird. I've seen fake ebay ads where they copy the pictures from gumtree ads.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12328
    Message him via gumtree and ask him why it’s listed in 2 places for different prices. He been on gumtree for 9 yrs so that would give me a degree of trust but you just never know.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    One advert is fake !
    As he's in Croydon he can always bring it in to me for verification if you are making him a serious offer

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Probs was so slow with photos as he waited for an eBay add to steal the photos off and its no photos of his guitar
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    Gumtree is a hive of scum and villainy. There are also some downsides to it, such as the fakes. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    It’s definitely the same guy selling?

Ive seen identical ads before.. one seller is genuinely selling at the price stated while the other seller has copied the ad and added a margin on. Once the fake seller has sold his one he buys the real one for shipping.

I suppose that’s mainly and eBay thing though..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steersteer Frets: 1188
    ebay seller has sold guitars and pickups before, so nothing obviously dodgy from their profile.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12328
    I messaged him via gumtree. He said hes going to keep it now.....
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Isn't this one of those things where if you buy it from the higher priced guy, he quickly buys it from the original seller and sells it to you?

Kind of like a commission sale, but completely illegitimately.
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    Jack_ said:
    Isn't this one of those things where if you buy it from the higher priced guy, he quickly buys it from the original seller and sells it to you?

Kind of like a commission sale, but completely illegitimately.
    it's a bit dodgy and unreliable.

It is simlar to dropshipping, except with dropshipping the he would order it with the other seller who would handle the shipping and ship direct to the customer. Dropshipping is legal.
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    I messaged him via gumtree. He said hes going to keep it now.....
    So guessing its not his photos 
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 607
    Strange attempt at dropshipping if that's what he was trying to do. You'd think he would find a more reasonably priced guitar in the first place and then add a smaller margin in the hope of selling it, not £750 more than the actual owner's asking price!
    Also if that's what he was doing, you'd expect a lot more guitars on his gumtree profile, wouldn't you?
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    hassleham said:
    Strange attempt at dropshipping if that's what he was trying to do. You'd think he would find a more reasonably priced guitar in the first place and then add a smaller margin in the hope of selling it, not £750 more than the actual owner's asking price!
    Also if that's what he was doing, you'd expect a lot more guitars on his gumtree profile, wouldn't you?
    Yes indeed.

sorry i didn’t really make my point clear. I don’t think he is drop shipping, just noted that IF he is dropshipping it is legitimate. 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Given that eBay owns Gumtree you'd think they would have checks in place to ensure this sort of thing is at least legal. If they had their punters interests at heart...