• humbuckohumbucko Frets: 179
    randella said:
    humbucko said:
    I don't get why Gibson now makes their SG Standards with:

1. cheap looking white binding
    2. no poker chip on the pickup selector switch
    3. black tophats rather than silver
    4. grotesque giant kidney tuners
    1 - it's exactly the same as the yellow binding on older guitars.  It just hasn't gone yellow yet.
    2 - up is neck, down is bridge.  Middle is both, which funnily enough the chip fails to mention but people manage to find it just the same.
    3 - good
    4 - I prefer the look of 'tulip' Klusons, granted - but I bet these sealed efforts will still be working in ten years
    1. not true - many models including 61 reissues have yellowed binding. looks much nicer to me and most people i've discussed with
    2. not my point - much more aesthetically pleasing and you'd find most people agree
    3. subjective I agree
    4. replacing a relatively cheap part in 10 years is worth not having six fat beans on your headstock, in my opinion
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4182
    humbucko said:
    randella said:
    humbucko said:
    I don't get why Gibson now makes their SG Standards with:

1. cheap looking white binding
    2. no poker chip on the pickup selector switch
    3. black tophats rather than silver
    4. grotesque giant kidney tuners
    1 - it's exactly the same as the yellow binding on older guitars.  It just hasn't gone yellow yet.
    2 - up is neck, down is bridge.  Middle is both, which funnily enough the chip fails to mention but people manage to find it just the same.
    3 - good
    4 - I prefer the look of 'tulip' Klusons, granted - but I bet these sealed efforts will still be working in ten years
    1. not true - many models including 61 reissues have yellowed binding. looks much nicer to me and most people i've discussed with
    2. not my point - much more aesthetically pleasing and you'd find most people agree
    3. subjective I agree
    4. replacing a relatively cheap part in 10 years is worth not having six fat beans on your headstock, in my opinion
    Here's my take.  Binding, back in the day, was only one colour.  Before we started coveting vintage guitars it was white.  It went yellow with age.  Nice though it looks to have a period-patina'd guitar, I'd rather it patina'd itself in my possession.  I've no objection to reliced guitars, I just think it's nicer if they relic themselves.

As re. the rest of the plastic on a Gibson of any sort, I disagree about its aesthetic appeal.  Whether or not 'most' people agree (and I'd dispute that anyway, your circle of friends and acquaintances - and I'm not trying to be a twat here - are not 'most' people) I can't stand the extra adornment.  That little plastic washer round the pickup switch and the pickguard have been taken off both my 'proper' Gibson Les Paul and my Ibanez John-Scofield-a-like 335.  My dad's '71 335 has lost the scratchplate too.  I can't understand why anyone would pay top money for a lovely bit of wood and cover it needlessly with about 26p worth of extruded acrylic.

But it all boils down to opinions.  I prefer speed knobs to top hats.  I'd agree about the tuners but, having had lovely-looking-but-fucking-useless mini Klusons on one of my Strats for more years than I'd care to mention, I'd swap them for some mini-Schallers soon as look at them.  I just really don't want to ream out the post holes.

Anyway, if we all liked the same thing the world would be a boring old place, despite the fact it'd give @digitalscream a rest for once ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    Rolling off the volume is really nicely done on this guitar.  It cleans up beautifully whilst somehow retaining sustain.  Its dealt very useable. There're two distinct voices between both pickups and i think these new ones for 2018 are much better than the 498 or whatever they were called.  
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Congrats on the new guitar! I was told jokingly that SG stood for "So good"  ;)
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
    edited April 2018
    When it comes to aesthetics it's purely down to personal taste.  But that's unmistakeably a Gibson SG Standard and that's one very cool and very nice looking guitar you have there sir...many congrats.  I actually think the black knobs look absolutely right with that colour, which is lovely and warm ...and if it plays like butter and sounds great, what more can you ask for?!

I have a 2006 SG Standard and it's one of the favourite guitars I have.  I can't believe it was only a few years back I 'discovered' these great guitars so to speak...goodness knows what took me so long.  And with all the silly and unhelpful comments on 2018 'changes' you know what? ... I just had to have a quick look at mine to see what colour knobs I had...yes, they're silver topped hi-hats but how ridiculous is that ...i.e. I didn't even remember !!  ... it just goes to show how completely 'unimportant' these minor differences are.  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeeByrdTeeByrd Frets: 159
    Thats a fine looking SG matey! Congrats!