Mike Campbell - The Guitars on YouTube

What's Hot
freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1210
Watched this last night. A series of short films about Mike Campbell's guitars that have been linked together. He seems like a nice bloke and he's got some top drawer kit. Really enjoyed it.

Link to my trading feedback
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3222
    This is great cheers for sharing and you are right, doesn’t he come across as a really nice guy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    was about to watch it - but 90 mins - long - thanks for the posting and will watch it in full, in dribs and drabs

Great guy and a great guitar player - total self confessed gear junky - believe he spends more time on e-bay then @HarrySeven looking at odd ball guitars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Wish they’d made it without the beginning and end credits every 4 minutes...
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 371
    Very enjoyable, thanks for sharing
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • Magic.

+1 on the thanks 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Its a great watch....but the dirt on that Broadcaster fingerboard....I'm all for vibe Mike, but before too long the bloody thing is likely jump out of the case and start playing itself with that much DNA on it!! Give it a wipe you mucky begger! ;-) 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    Paid the price for the Premium website where this was originally a few years ago just for this. There was a new clip every week. Watched it again since, worth the watch and some great gear. One of my favourite guitarists.
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    Its a great watch....but the dirt on that Broadcaster fingerboard....I'm all for vibe Mike, but before too long the bloody thing is likely jump out of the case and start playing itself with that much DNA on it!! Give it a wipe you mucky begger! ;-) 
    look at it again when he starts speaking about it - and on the table behind is a bottle of Dunlop Lemon Oil - ironic !!!!
    tFB Trader
    @HarrySeven - watch the last 5-10 mins - his collection on the wall in the house and his 'man cave' 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22954
    Fascinating.  But kind of sad watching it with all the references to Tom Petty.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Mike is such a great player and musician , it’s good he is getting the recognition he deserves. 

I remember the concert for George Harrison when these boys came on and did Taxman, pure RocknRoll/Americana swagger - I remember thinking who the fook is that guitarist. 

Great guy guy and very sad about Tom still. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24815
    blueskunk said:
    Mike is such a great player and musician , it’s good he is getting the recognition he deserves. 

I remember the concert for George Harrison when these boys came on and did Taxman, pure RocknRoll/Americana swagger - I remember thinking who the fook is that guitarist. 

I reckon Mike Campbell has exactly the same gift as George Harrison - he ‘plays the song’ perfectly - little riffs and motifs that add something, rather than showing off. Robbie McIntosh has it too - his playing on The Pretenders’ ‘Hymn to Her’ is a good example.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1467
    blueskunk said:

I reckon Mike Campbell has exactly the same gift as George Harrison - he ‘plays the song’ perfectly - little riffs and motifs that add something, rather than showing off. Robbie McIntosh has it too - his playing on The Pretenders’ ‘Hymn to Her’ is a good example.
    I played with an artist for years whose first album had Robbie McIntosh on guitar. Learning his parts was a revelation - they're never just quite as simple and straightforward as they initially sound, there's always a couple of odd wee bits in there. He is an absolute master of playing to the song - which is why he's been in such demand for decades. The perfect session man.

He's also an absolutely incredible player when you sit down with him and jam - he's been playing miles within his abilities on record for many years!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    blueskunk said:

I played with an artist for years whose first album had Robbie McIntosh on guitar. Learning his parts was a revelation - they're never just quite as simple and straightforward as they initially sound, there's always a couple of odd wee bits in there. He is an absolute master of playing to the song - which is why he's been in such demand for decades. The perfect session man.

He's also an absolutely incredible player when you sit down with him and jam - he's been playing miles within his abilities on record for many years!
    Robbie McIntosh is the reason I own a Telecaster.

I saw him play with Macca in a warm up show for one if his tours - it was a fan club only event in the early 90s. A great friend was in the fan club. Anyway, all night the only guitar he played was an early 50s blackguard *Esquire* covering all the sonic bases from the Cavern club through the Sgt Pepper era, through the 1970s era to the (then) present day. Thanks to his mastery of the tone and volume control on the guitar, it always sounded perfect within the track and didn't just sound like a bloke with a Tele... and he only had a small handful of pedal between him and the amp. Plus, he played *HIS OWN* versions of the famous solos - taking elements of the originals to ensure that he wasn't fully off piste, keeping them relevant but making them his own. I went home and two days later I bought my first Tele.

As for Mike C - he's a brilliant player, and seems like a genuinely nice guy. His love of these old guitars is infectious and he really knows how to get the right sound for a given song, without overplaying but sill contributing. Thanks for sharing the vid.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    Bloody video's been deleted from YouTube, I was watching 10 mins a day :-(
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I'd got about half way through.