How to beef up a charvel?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    What Amp are you using? Also, what else are you comparing it to when you say it sounds weedy?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5005
    Compared to Ibanez Destroyer, flying V; les Paul standard and studios. 
    Played the charvel through a mixture of amps over the years. Jmp 1 into various power amp. Many a rehearsal room amp and my little vox 4 watt home amp. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    My opinion is get rid.  A bigger block, or replacement pickups could make a small difference, but it's never going to make it sound like a Les Paul.  Been down the road of trying to mod a guitar into something it's not and it's a time consuming and expensive road to nowhere 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    Remove the pickups and wiring and replace with Gibson humbuckers and wiring, replace the neck with a set mahogany Gibson one and then replace the body with a Gibson Les Paul body. That should help.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11600
    tFB Trader
    Reverend said:
    I think it may be the 3a as it is a two humbucker model. AS to whether it is installed correctly or not? Not sure, I may need to have a look. It was done by Chandlers so I hope so :)
    definitely a model 3A if it has 2 humbuckers...

Interested to know what block is advised for the JT-6..
    I had one made by a friendly engineer that makes them for us 
    The JT6 does have a different screw spacing so it isn't the same off the shelf one as the Floyd and Schaller ones.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Reverend said:
    p.s. any ideas where best to obtain a larger block for the whammy?
    And what about the caps etc? worth getting them overhauled?
    Kev Hurley of this parish has been brilliant, I've asked him to make several for me and they've all fitted first time. I'd personally recommend brass in your case. Steel is the wrong option if you have a thin sound problem, brass "warms" and takes away high end, steel preserves the high end and isn't as warm. I asked him to make blocks for two different floyd type terms with non - compatible blocks, I sent the originals to him and he nailed them both. Do a search, I started a thread on this recently.