Dulling down a gloss Nitro finish?

What's Hot
Guys,
My new Original 50's Strat in the "New Nitro Finish" is a bit shiny and I would like to dull it back a bit, just a bit, just to take the shine off......how best to do it? Would T Cut remove the shine or something similar, I don't want to attack it with Scotch Brite or Wet n Dry really, or cock it up! Id like to degloss the neck a bit too as it gets sticky when playing any suggestions?
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    edited April 2018
    have you ruled out using 0000 steel wool? Would have thought that would do the job pretty well in both cases. Definitely use steel wool on the neck if it's sticky feeling. Did the same on a couple of my guitars and it improved the playability a lot IMO
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You could use wire wool. I use 0000 to de-gloss necks, and 0000+ is available which is slightly finer again. It is messy though, and you would have to strip the guitar down completely.

Alternatively try MicroMesh. Just be careful with the grading system as it isn't the same as the 'P' grading for abrasive papers. I think a P2500 paper is probably equivalent to something around 3000-3500 on the MicroMesh scale - I only really use the fine MicroMesh grades. Its good for frets too, and I also use it to subtly take the gloss off plastic parts (4000 - 6000 for plastics, and right through the grades to 12000 to polish frets).
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-Mesh-Regular-Abrasive-Polishing-Cloth-Kit-4-Sheets-6-x3/232123087224?epid=1944428044&hash=item360b9d3978:g:B3oAAOSw44BYDSPL
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    Not all steel wool is created equal.  B&Q and Colron 00000 is considerably tougher than liberon 0000.   It is very scratchy stuff and falls apart quickly.  

The liberon 0000 will work is a very even and controllable way
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    burnishing cream after 0000 wire wool works for me, it puts the slight sheen look back 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • @customkits out of curiosity, whose burnishing cream do you use?
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    @customkits out of curiosity, whose burnishing cream do you use?
    I'll have a look but i don't think i was that fussy for what i want, i also used it to polish nitro for a satin look. 
    I mess about back and forth until i get the look i want, dull down burnish back up etc
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)