Valve Amps With OD Pedals... Why?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    @Alexc - so why the need to change above if you're happy ? Valve amps with strong signature sounds may limit you - otherwise you buy a cleaner type serving a good pedal platform could work out very costly  -  would a more sophisticated modeller be  the " upgrade" ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    @JMP220478 TBH I’m happy with my sound. Just so many players and sites talk about valves as if they’re THE amp to have. However, as many have confirmed here you have to play them bloody loud to get ‘that’ drive sound. But it’s all a bit of pipe dream for whenever I have unlimited funds. Which I don’t at present!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7770
    AlexC said:
    @JMP220478 TBH I’m happy with my sound. Just so many players and sites talk about valves as if they’re THE amp to have. However, as many have confirmed here you have to play them bloody loud to get ‘that’ drive sound. But it’s all a bit of pipe dream for whenever I have unlimited funds. Which I don’t at present!
    Even used clean with pedals in front, a decent tube amp will sound better than just about any SS or modelling combo with those pedals in front. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I use a tubescreamer type pedal (either the Maxon OD808 or Ibanez TS9) in front of my 6505+ red channel. Gives its more punch and bite, and tightens up the flubbiness. I could probably get something similar with a Axe FX/Kemper but I do love the sound of a real tube amp pushed!
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    ICBM said:
    I don't usually like boost pedals pushing an amp either, I prefer to add actual distortion with the pedal on top of the amp's overdrive, rather than turn the pedal volume up - to me, that gives a more responsive, more 'harmonic' type of sound with more edge and bite
    Do you mean adding distortion to a crunchy amp? As in, distortion pedal, not an overdrive pedal? Not sure I've ever tried that, it feels like it would be a bit messy and congested.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    clarkefan said:

Do you mean adding distortion to a crunchy amp? As in, distortion pedal, not an overdrive pedal? Not sure I've ever tried that, it feels like it would be a bit messy and congested.
    Both.

You do need to have the amp only slightly overdriven, not a heavily saturated crunch, although overdrive pedals - especially the TS/SD-1 type - work well even when the amp is more saturated. It's more to do with EQ than gain levels.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    clarkefan said:
    ICBM said:
    I don't usually like boost pedals pushing an amp either, I prefer to add actual distortion with the pedal on top of the amp's overdrive, rather than turn the pedal volume up - to me, that gives a more responsive, more 'harmonic' type of sound with more edge and bite
    A DS-1 in to a cooking Marshall is THE 80s rock sound, plenty of reasons to use all sorts of drives with valve amps, clean or driven, try everything and if it works it's all good
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    ICBM said:
    If it sounds good, it is good.
    after this response, im surprised this thread is still going... ;)
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Thanks ICBM and John _A, some interesting stuff there, I'm kind of embarrassed I never thought of this before. Much experimenting to happen shortly :)