Stratocaster Truss Rod Rattle

I have a rather special strat but with one problem - when perfectly set up, there’s a truss rod rattle.  The rod rattles / resonates rather loudly if I play a ‘G’.

If I tap on the back of the neck, I can hear the truss rod rattling inside.

If I tighten the truss rod by a 1/4 turn, the rattle improves a lot - but then the neck is too flat and buzzes on the low frets (unless I play with a very, very soft touch).

It seems to my non-expert mind that the neck is 'at the edge' of the range of adjustment of the truss rod.

Is there a simple solution please? Going up a string gauge to to 11s is not really an option for me...

I made a couple of videos illustrating the phenomenon.

This is the nicest Strat I've ever had - but this rattle is a real problem for me. Expert opinions deeply appreciated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16716
    Have you tried just turning the rod to the point it engages
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 819
    Interesting that you should say that WezV.  I just did exactly that - and the rattle is gone.

Does it matter however, that I can't increase relief in the neck - since the truss rod can only be tightened, not loosened?  For example, it will be impossible to use a lighter string gauge...
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    If it were mine I would slacken the truss rod a half turn the tune the guitar a tone above standard pitch, E to F#, A to B etc and let it stand for a few days, then slacken the strings and see if the neck has settled with a bit more relief, then adjust the truss rod as nescessary....

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

edited April 2018
    paulnb57 said:
    If it were mine I would slacken the truss rod a half turn the tune the guitar a tone above standard pitch, E to F#, A to B etc and let it stand for a few days, then slacken the strings and see if the neck has settled with a bit more relief, then adjust the truss rod as nescessary....

And if you were doing that - I guess you would fix the bridge, so it's the neck (rather than the tremolo springs) that's 'stretching / bending' in response to the traction?
    jaymenon said:
    Interesting that you should say that WezV.  I just did exactly that - and the rattle is gone.

Does it matter however, that I can't increase relief in the neck - since the truss rod can only be tightened, not loosened?  For example, it will be impossible to use a lighter string gauge...
    You cant add relief on most one way rods unless you do some trickery with the fret levelling... not standard set-up stuff.  

String tension should do it for you
    Yes - but you'd want a truss rod to be in the middle of its range of adjustment - allowing you to go one way or the other right?
    jaymenon said:
    Yes - but you'd want a truss rod to be in the middle of its range of adjustment - allowing you to go one way or the other right?
    Not really.  One way rods were never designed to add relief, but can be made to give a little by clever techs.  2 way rods can rattle in the neutral position so always better to be slightly tight in either direction
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    jaymenon said:
    paulnb57 said:

And if you were doing that - I guess you would fix the bridge, so it's the neck (rather than the tremolo springs) that's 'stretching / bending' in response to the traction?
    You could pop a small block of wood behind the trem block to stop it lifting...Ive never done anything like this but would give it a go, perhaps half a tone first to see what happens...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll