Ways of justifying a new guitar purchase?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    JerkMoans said:
    antonyiv said:
     My current goal is to quit smocking. It’s been three months since the last time I smocked...
    My mum did that for a while. Lovely gathering. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smocking

Glad you seem able to beat the craving.
    Stop smocking him
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Is it going to give you pleasure and/or joy?

Is it going to cause significant problems in your future or is your life basically just going to continue as it would if you didn't buy it?

Those are the only 2 questions that matter, life is short so try to get as much happiness as you can.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Justifying buying a guitar is like justifying buying a pint. Do I fancy it now? Yes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11928
    I have more problem with my kids at the minute, I suspect they think that my salary should be divided equally, before tax, and shared out to all members of the family.

possible tactics:
    1. Try to make it low key, no big trip to collect or endless preambles before purchase - brown parcel arrives, quickly vanishes into your man cave (I do this to avoid being nagged by my kids). 
    2. Try to avoid disrupting your other half's plans - don't spend a day driving to collect something
    3. Genuinely buy at a price you can sell on at or above (as mentioned)
    4. (Flippant but true) explain you need to keep some guitars in a different tuning, with different gauge strings fitted
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11928
    My guitar aspirations certainly don't match my playing ability. It's the experience I'm up for and getting a guitar made for me is one of those expensive experiences I want to do. But I do feel a bit guilty. Just a bit ,)
    better guitars (and amps / sims) will improve your playing more quickly
    I spent decades playing OK guitars and amps, as soon as I bought very good ones, my playing vastly improved over just one year

Personally I would recommend not having a guitar made especially until you have other guitars at the same price/quality level, since your style/preferences are very likely to change once you play better guitars (this happened to me).

Also I would not recommend commissioning a guitar that was not a variation on one that I could personally test in advance, I have frequently been amazed at how some instruments or customisations turn out once they are in your hands - much better to try before buying, unless you have many guitars and deep pockets. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    simple: How old was you when started guitar playing? How old now? Do you have the same degree of time left in your life?

If YES then NO... if NO then YES!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • JimaxJimax Frets: 3
    edited April 2018
    YOLO :)