SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD FT/FS: Fender Telecaster 1952 reissue MIJ 1985/86 *PRICE DROP*

What's Hot
samothy01samothy01 Frets: 33
edited May 2018 in Guitars £
First of all, I love this guitar. However, my love of having new toys outweighs my love for this tele.

I’m in the process of completely reshuffling my pedalboard for exactly the same reason - not because I don’t like my current set up but because new toys are fun (amiright?)

SO to get down to business... what we have here is an all original (supposedly, I’m not exactly the leading authority but I have checked the pickups and electronics and it all seems to be true) Fender Telecaster made in Japan dated in 1995/1986. There may be some work necessary (again, I’m absolutely not the leading authority) such as a new nut and POSSIBLY a re-fret.

I’m looking for maybe another guitar or possibly even a decent amp (combos only please) - in either case, cash your way if necessary. I’ve seen quite a nice tele body for sale so cash offers are acceptable too!

I’d like to say that I’m open to offers but I am quite picky when it comes to gear.

I’m looking for £700 £600 cash value. Comes with gig bag.

I will post if necessary, however I’d prefer to meet in person. I’m based in Birmingham but can travel fairly far to meet if required!

https://imgur.com/a/NqjYx (more photos)
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12396
    Hi Samothy, what model is it?  I am still waiting to play the 62 custom tele.  If I don't like it would swapping for an almost identical looking roadworn be of interest if we each tried them, or is it too similar : )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samothy01samothy01 Frets: 33
    munckee said:
    Hi Samothy, what model is it?  I am still waiting to play the 62 custom tele.  If I don't like it would swapping for an almost identical looking roadworn be of interest if we each tried them, or is it too similar : )
    I’m afraid to say that I’m not sure of the model! When I bought it the seller didn’t know and I only bought it due to how it played, the model didn’t bother me too much. Perhaps I should have done more research...

That probably would be to similar for me I’m afraid! Thanks anyway
    Bump
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 559
    edited April 2018
    Looks like an 80’s MIJ Fender 52 Reissue Telecaster to me . . . 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    maw4neu said:
    What makes you think it's a 52 reissue? Any help will be appreciated! 

(I know it's an 85/86 MIJ, subject to dodgy MIJ ageing/dating...)
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    samothy01 said:
    maw4neu said:

I've got a 1994/5 MIJ '50s Reissue Tele (they weren't '52s at that time) and this looks like it has a few of the same appointments...

Single circular string tree on the B-E
    5-hole single ply guard
    Dome-top knobs and barrel switch tip

...plus that finish/colour screams '50s.  How are the frets, radius and neck profile?  Skinny/vintage, 7.25" and soft-V?  That would probably seal it.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    samothy01 said:
    maw4neu said:

I've got a 1994/5 MIJ '50s Reissue Tele (they weren't '52s at that time) and this looks like it has a few of the same appointments...

Single circular string tree on the B-E
    5-hole single ply guard
    Dome-top knobs and barrel switch tip

...plus that finish/colour screams '50s.  How are the frets, radius and neck profile?  Skinny/vintage, 7.25" and soft-V?  That would probably seal it.
    I've done a liiiiittle bit of research, obviously there are no concrete sources online for Japanese ageing. However, what I've found seems to suggest that it's an 80's tele:

The neck plate showcasing the word FENDER was used in the 80's whereas in the 90's fender Japan moved to a plain chrome plate. I'm not sure on the shaping of the neck, not too clued up on that... but I THINK it is a 7.25 radius. It's also certainly not a V-shaped neck, more like a U.

Attached are a couple photos of the body and heel of the neck showcasing model numbers - any thoughts?

Thanks!

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14466
    samothy01 said:
    • Equal length rod magnet polepieces on the bridge/Treble pickup. (Raised D and G poles first appeared 1955.)
    • Philips screws all around. (A '52 original would mostly have been using flat slot heads.)
    • The late Fifties Blonde finish looked more *milky*.
    • The late Fifties pickguard was single ply white - same as the earliest Stratocasters. 

The original MIJ selector switch will have been a YM-30, eight-contacts-in-line type. It might even have been wired to 1952 specifications, offering; bridge PU only, neck PU only, neck PU through capacitor for bass tone.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3499
    TL52-55 kind of gives it away does it not? Telecaster 52 ?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    robgilmo said:
    TL52-55 kind of gives it away does it not? Telecaster 52 ?
    Yup thought so, was put off by the 55 tho - like I say I’m no expert
    Bump
    Bump
  • It's a "domestic market" MIJ '52 reissue. The "55" refers to it's original price in Japanese Yen.

The model number denotes it was a Telecaster, 1952 - Priced at 55,000JPY. 

At the time, specific year (like this 52RI) models were made for sale in the Asian market (also sometimes Australia & NZ) because the Japanese are big fans of "detail" and authenticity.

The European equivalent would be the generic 50s Telecaster - they also did a 60s version along with 50s/60s strats & P Basses and a 60s Jazz Bass. They are what eventually became the Classic series (Mexican) in about 1997. 

Specific year models like this tended to be slightly higher spec depending on their price. This one at 55,000JPY would have been the next level up from a "standard" Tele of the time but still relatively low down the pricing scale as some went up to 120,000JPY. Quality-wise, t's roughly equivalent to the European edition 50s telecaster mentioned above. At that price, it would be a basswood body rather than the more expensive ash & you can usually spot that by the slightly more "opaque" finish. I higher spec one would have the proper ash body and flathead screws. 

They're good guitars at base level but they usually need the pots/switch/jack/wiring (and often the pickups) etc changing for better quality parts because for some reason, the Japanese factories (this one is probably from the Fuji-Gen factory) always cut costs on electrics.

I can't "quite" see from the photo but this one looks like it's had a re-fret. 

It's a "domestic market" MIJ '52 reissue. The "55" refers to it's original price in Japanese Yen.

The model number denotes it was a Telecaster, 1952 - Priced at 55,000JPY. 

At the time, specific year (like this 52RI) models were made for sale in the Asian market (also sometimes Australia & NZ) because the Japanese are big fans of "detail" and authenticity.

The European equivalent would be the generic 50s Telecaster - they also did a 60s version along with 50s/60s strats & P Basses and a 60s Jazz Bass. They are what eventually became the Classic series (Mexican) in about 1997. 

Specific year models like this tended to be slightly higher spec depending on their price. This one at 55,000JPY would have been the next level up from a "standard" Tele of the time but still relatively low down the pricing scale as some went up to 120,000JPY. Quality-wise, t's roughly equivalent to the European edition 50s telecaster mentioned above. At that price, it would be a basswood body rather than the more expensive ash & you can usually spot that by the slightly more "opaque" finish. I higher spec one would have the proper ash body and flathead screws. 

They're good guitars at base level but they usually need the pots/switch/jack/wiring (and often the pickups) etc changing for better quality parts because for some reason, the Japanese factories (this one is probably from the Fuji-Gen factory) always cut costs on electrics.

I can't "quite" see from the photo but this one looks like it's had a re-fret. 

This is awesome thank you! You genuinely may be the leading authority on mij teles on the internet as there is so little information elsewhere.

Completely agree with the need for an electronics reshuffle as I've done so with previous mij guitars. Also good to know that this is potentially from the Fuji-Gen factory, previously unknown information.

There are more photos if you follow the link at the bottom of the original post, shouuuuld show the neck in more detail.
    Bump
    Bumpo 
    Bump
    Price drop