Who lives nearest to their childhood home? (and who is furthest?)

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1773
    Born and spent first 25 years in Hull, East Yorks and now live in Dorset.  Approx 300 miles away.
    Or as the joke goes:

”Where do you live?”

”Poole”

”In Dorset?”

”I can - it’s a lovely place”
    Sorry dude, but that one goes over my head.  Lived and worked in Poole for 20 years, now working in Weymouth and living in the rural bit in between.
    As in "endorse it?".
    I found it very funny, well done @richardhomer (specially considering I'd never heard it despite spending >15years living in Dorset)

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    In the first 15 years of their married life, my parents lived in 16 different places, including 3 in Chicago, before they finally settled back where they started.  That included various spells staying with their in-laws whilst looking for somewhere of their own. 

Practically all of these were rented; they actually bought one house in Blackpool, only to sell it 2 years later to go to Chicago.

I was born in Blackpool while they were living with my paternal grandparents, a time my mother describes as the worst time of her life - she absolutely hated having to live with her in-laws. 

She now has a little flat in Lytham St Annes, and we live about 40 miles away, so not too far from my roots, such as they are!

LOL @richardhomer - it took me a while, but I got there in the end...

• SporkySporky Frets: 28289
    edited April 2018
    [edit] And they called me slow...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    1.8 miles. Though I was 1072 miles away for 2 years.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Real men stay at home and live in the box room.  All this moving out stuff is a load of rubbish.  
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    [edit] And they called me slow...
    I know - I had to say it out loud before the penny dropped...

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    My mother at 82 lives 2 doors from where she was born, I have however managed to get 12 miles away (which is a long way in London terms), one day I`ll make it to the coast.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11304
    Now I come to think of it I may only be less than three miles away from my childhood home, but if I go the other way it's thousands and thousands of miles.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2891
    BigMonka said:
    Born and spent first 25 years in Hull, East Yorks and now live in Dorset.  Approx 300 miles away.
    Or as the joke goes:

”Where do you live?”

”Poole”

”In Dorset?”

”I can - it’s a lovely place”
    Sorry dude, but that one goes over my head.  Lived and worked in Poole for 20 years, now working in Weymouth and living in the rural bit in between.
    As in "endorse it?".
    I found it very funny, well done @richardhomer (specially considering I'd never heard it despite spending >15years living in Dorset)

ah!   I see.  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    240 miles from my birthplace in the North East. I now live in Oxfordshire, the most boring place on the planet.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I live about 5 miles from it, parents passed away and now I own the house...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12373
    My mum still lives in the house we moved to when I was 9. Currently doing some work on it for her, lots of memories there for me as I’m going into rooms I don’t normally see. Some of the memories are good, but a lot are shit. For instance there’s still a distinctive mark on one bedroom wall where my mum smashed my dad’s beloved watch against the wall in a fit of rage. (She’d found out he was having an affair, they divorced not long after.) 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    Born and spent the first 6 years of life 1700 miles as the crow flies from where I live now
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • thingthing Frets: 469
    About 60 miles away from where I was born. All of my Dads family lived in the same small village, I lived in the next house to my Gran and Grandad. The ones who are still alive are still there whereas I had incurable wanderlust and spent half of my adult life wandering round the globe. There is no way I could live in the same place all of my life no matter how wonderful it is.

Luckily I passed this on to my son who now lives 10398 miles away. 
    This is absurd.  You don’t know what you’re talking about.  It warrants combat.