Pedals with different polarity

What's Hot
I currently have 8 pedals that all require 9v dc centre negative (standard boss style) that are all powered by the same power supply.

Im currently looking at buying a pedal that is 9v centre positive. Which is ok as long as i can use it with my other pedals without issue.

Do i just need a cheap polarity reverse cable? Is it that simple, or am i likely to have issues running it with my other standard pedals?

Any help appreciated.
Cheers, Ben.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steersteer Frets: 1196
    Yes, you just need a cheap polarity reverse cable - no issues that I can see. 

• JotaJota Frets: 465
    Your power supply needs to have all the outputs isolated for the reverse polarity cable to work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • https://www.amazon.co.uk/TGI-TGIPB1-Micro-Power-Supply/dp/B010FT8ZES

This is the power supply i use. Its been fine with all my pedals so far.
     It states all the outputs are isolated, but there are a couple reviews which say otherwise.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TGI-TGIPB1-Micro-Power-Supply/dp/B010FT8ZES

This is the power supply i use. Its been fine with all my pedals so far.
     It states all the outputs are isolated, but there are a couple reviews which say otherwise.
    I've got a couple of those for my home pedal board, does a good job, but the 9v outputs are not isolated. The 18v output is and I think the 12v output is.

As a side note - be aware the design has changed now, to a slimmer one, and it seems that only the 12v output is isolated
    I know there's a way to check if they're isolated but I don't know how you do it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    I currently have 8 pedals that all require 9v dc centre negative (standard boss style) that are all powered by the same power supply.

Im currently looking at buying a pedal that is 9v centre positive. Which is ok as long as i can use it with my other pedals without issue.

Do i just need a cheap polarity reverse cable? Is it that simple, or am i likely to have issues running it with my other standard pedals?
    What pedal is it?

steer said:
    Yes, you just need a cheap polarity reverse cable - no issues that I can see. 
    It depends on whether the other pedal simply has a centre-positive jack, or whether it's positive-ground - which is pretty much only some vintage-style fuzzes.

If it's simply a reversed jack then a reversing cable will work - if it's a positive-ground pedal then nothing other than a fully isolated power supply will work.

Just to confuse things, there are also a very few positive-ground pedals which use a centre-negative power supply, but you need an isolated power supply for those as well. (eg Fulltone '69.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
    edited April 2018
    ICBM said: What pedal is it?

its an already assembled diy Gristleizer Fuzzdog kit. Not sure why its 9v positive, but the seller says it is.

Really want one, but dont want to have issues with my pedalboard. 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    I got one of these and have no probs.

TIP:  - LEAVE -  the plug  - IN  -  your Pedal so you don't accidentally power it with the wrong tip - easily done when in a hurry

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-POWER-ADAPTER-POLARITY-CONVERTER-ADAPTOR-PLUG/150295089712?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

its an already assembled diy Gristleizer Fuzzdog kit. Not sure why its 9v positive, but the seller says it is.
    Not something I'm familiar with unfortunately...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OnTheHuntOnTheHunt Frets: 60
    ICBM said:
    It depends on whether the other pedal simply has a centre-positive jack, or whether it's positive-ground - which is pretty much only some vintage-style fuzzes.
    This is an important point.  My understanding (limited!) is that if you've a +ve ground pedal powered by a PSU with non-isolated outputs and other pedals aren't +ve ground, you can create a short and frazzle stuff.
  • I suppose i could just use a seperate power adaptor for it.
    Bit of a pain in the arse, but i guess that would be the safest option.

Thanks for all the replies and help btw guys.
    edited April 2018
    I suppose i could just use a seperate power adaptor for it.

I have an Octafuzz on my board. Everything is daisy chained, except the octafuzz cause it's center positive so it runs on a battery.
    I have it placed so I can disconnect the input jack everytime I finish playing.
    I think Diago as an adapter for these pedals so i may give that a go someday.
  • OnTheHuntOnTheHunt Frets: 60
    Jota said:

I have an Octafuzz on my board. Everything is daisy chained, except the octafuzz cause it's center positive so it runs on a battery.
    Found this on my own research into all things power, should do the job.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitar-accessories/pedal-power-supplies/t-rex-polarity-inverter-cable-orange
    OnTheHunt said:
    Jota said:

Found this on my own research into all things power, should do the job.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitar-accessories/pedal-power-supplies/t-rex-polarity-inverter-cable-orange
    That's the cable if the power supply has isolated outputs.
    If it doesn't you'll need this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diago-PS11-Positive-Ground-Adaptor/dp/B007FOIPGU

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    ICBM said: What pedal is it?

Really want one, but dont want to have issues with my pedalboard. 

The gristleizer is standard centre neg...

if the one being sold is centre pos it’s been built wrong!!!!! I’d leave it alone tbh!.

http://pedalparts.co.uk/docs/Gristleiser.pdf

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

DC-DC fully isolated converters are now common and relatively cheap. They can be had in power ratings from a watt or so to kWs and input and output voltages to fit any purpose. Has anyone put one in a tin for this job does anyone know?

If not, nice little earner there Sporks!

Dave.