Arsene Wenger

What's Hot

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705

Carlo Ancelotti would be my choice, if I were an Arsenal fan.

Available, proven premier league, proven european.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    This would be the time to get a manager for the next 5 years or more, if they go after instant success with the likes of Ancelotti it will be a constant fire fighting exercise.

They should pick the man they want in charge for the next 5 years and hope they end up with the man they have for the next 20 years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204

Henry           Bergkamp

Pires                   Fabregas           Viera         Sanchez

Cole                 Adams                  Campbell        Lauren

Seaman Lehman

Other than swapping out Seaman for Lehman, that team could conquer the world.

As an Arsenal supporter, I'm quite pleased he's finally stepping down, although he will be a tough act to follow. He saw the wind blowing for sure.

Realistically, he had stagnated, allowed the playing style to stagnate, and had ceased to breath dynamism and power into the squad.

However, I have to credit him with revitalising The Arsenal after George Graham and Bruce Rioch, and to thank him for bringing some fantastic football out of Highbury and across to Ashburton Grove. I doubt we'll ever see a manager of is ilk again. All the best Mr Wenger. Enjoy the retirement.

And of all the wonderful suggestions I've read on here about who should take over ... you're forgetting Harry "Twitcher" Redknapp. We can but dream, eh?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025

Carlo Ancelotti would be my choice, if I were an Arsenal fan.

Available, proven premier league, proven european.

I agree, seems a good guy too.

Not convinced he would do well in the league, very good in cups though
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705
    underdog said:
    This would be the time to get a manager for the next 5 years or more, if they go after instant success with the likes of Ancelotti it will be a constant fire fighting exercise.

They should pick the man they want in charge for the next 5 years and hope they end up with the man they have for the next 20 years.
    No reason Ancelotti wouldn’t stay for 5 years, age wouldn’t be an issue at 58.

The long view is always the best but if you are talking 20 years, the guy should be early 40’s now which doesn’t leave many options.   Eddie Howe or possibly Viera, but the latter has not been at New York long and might not be ready.

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited April 2018
    To take over?

Allegri.

Tuchel.

Arteta - inexperience counts against him. Dark Horse.

Ancelotti, although he's getting on a bit.

However, I might stick some money on van Bronckhorst. Very dark horse. As a former Arsenal player, and having recently won the Dutch League and Dutch Cup, he might be an outside contender.

• frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited April 2018
    Brendan Rodgers...wonderful human being and a great technician   The David Brent of football

Conte would probably be more realistic though
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4841
    edited April 2018
    Sad to see him go but, it's beyond the time he should have stepped down really, he has tainted the end of his career really by delaying it this long.

As for a replacement, giving a young up and coming manager a chance would be awesome but I can't see it. There is too much money involved these days for them to gamble, would love to see Eddie Howe given a chance and time also to find his feet in a very different situation to Bournemouth. Also I'd really like Sean Dyche to have a shot at a bigger club but not sure he is right for Arsenal with his more pragmatic style of play, although a similar hard working style works well for Klopp at Liverpool. 

It'll be the usual big name manager merry go round which will see them turn into Man U, Chelsea and Man City. Turning over managers every few seasons or every year!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited April 2018
    Jesus fucking Christ, anyone would think he'd solved world poverty and cured cancer with the amount of coverage he's getting. Radio 4, BBC website  etc have him plastered everywhere and HE HASNT EVEN LEFT YET. 
     Are we having 3 days of mourning and building a fountain in his memory?
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    edited April 2018
    Presumably they have to find aanother manager with the word “arse” in their name (just like Arsene) cos it matches the first 4 letters of Arsenal. No?
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    Presumably they have to find aanother manager with the word “arse” in their name (just like Arsene) cos it matches the first 4 letters of Arsenal. No?
    Sooner or later every manager has "Arse" in his name.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I rather like Wenger, I was hoping that he's go out on a high note. Hopefully he can win the Europa league.

Having said that, I'm a Man U fan and I rather liked the fact that I didn't think him a threat for the Prem title! Now he's off I really hope that Arsenal sink like a stone. Although I hated losing to Arsenal back in the day, they were an awesome team with some great players. Wenger was fantastic for many years, but the game passed him and moved on whilst he stood still. Personally I think that Mourinho is in that particular boat now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited April 2018
    /\ or Nil 00 is Juan available for next season?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    For the sake of football, you need at least ONE decent football team in London. Wenger made Arsenal that team so all his successor has to do is replicate the work of the great man and add something extra to the mix. Brendan Rogers is doing very well with Celtic. Has to be in the frame. For the sake of football in London...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    No offence, but I think even I could do very well with Celtic..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    Rocker said:
    For the sake of football, you need at least ONE decent football team in London. Wenger made Arsenal that team so all his successor has to do is replicate the work of the great man and add something extra to the mix. Brendan Rogers is doing very well with Celtic. Has to be in the frame. For the sake of football in London...
    Not sure if that entire post is a joke
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9794
    edited April 2018
    I liked it when Man City had Mancini, for the same reason

sinbaadi said:
    Rocker said:
    I did actually splutter earlier on when I saw on BBC sport that "Celtic would let Rodgers talk to Arsenal", as in... I don't think they have much to worry about that
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    sinbaadi said:
    Rocker said:
    My post a joke?  Of course not - football is way too serious for jokes.

Arsenal and Man Utd have been the dominant Premier League teams in the past twenty years (the Wenger years).  Teams have won the PL but it takes a great team to win it more than once or to retain the championship.  

London has a lot of football teams, it needs one good team and for the past twenty years Arsenal has been that team.  Like Man U, their slight demise in recent years has raised eyebrows but it is only a matter of time before both of these teams are back winning trophies.

BTW, I am not a fan of Man Utd or Arsenal but it is clear who the winningest teams were in the two decades since Wenger took control at Arsenal.  And Alex Ferguson at Man U.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• thingthing Frets: 469
    fandango said:
    you're forgetting Harry "Twitcher" Redknap?
    Have to be a bloody big brown envelope to get Harry.
    This is absurd.  You don’t know what you’re talking about.  It warrants combat.
  • funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
    Brendan Rogers .  I could see him do it for 5 years.