Delay loses dry signal?

What's Hot
NPPNPP Frets: 236
What can cause a digital delay (TC Nova Repeater in this instance) to lose the dry signal? It was working fine earlier this evening, when I switched my stuff back on after the ironing the delay had lost its dry signal. I didn't unplug anything in between, and nonetheless doublechecked that I hadn't plugged the wrong output into the amp. 

It's an old pedal I bought used but if it were to suddenly die I'd expect it to lose the wet signal, or die completely, but not to stop letting the dry signal through. Any idea what it might be? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12902
    NPP said:
    What can cause a digital delay (TC Nova Repeater in this instance) to lose the dry signal? It was working fine earlier this evening, when I switched my stuff back on after the ironing the delay had lost its dry signal. I didn't unplug anything in between, and nonetheless doublechecked that I hadn't plugged the wrong output into the amp. 

It's an old pedal I bought used but if it were to suddenly die I'd expect it to lose the wet signal, or die completely, but not to stop letting the dry signal through. Any idea what it might be? 
    I assume you've tried checking whether or not you've turned on the Kill Dry mode?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    NPP said:

I assume you've tried checking whether or not you've turned on the Kill Dry mode?

and the prize goes to ...

ok, I never knew this existed because it's not a thing I would ever use, but there it is, a big fat button right on the front of the pedal, brightly illuminated in green ...

The pedal lives under a chair on which my amp is placed and I can't really see anything that's written on it. So I unplugged and replugged everything but never had a clue of what was written on the various buttons. Ever since getting the pedal I set it at a short tape-type delay and have only switched it on and off. I must have inadvertently stepped on the kill dry button. 

Thanks for sorting this out for me!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    now, in what context would one use the kill dry mode?

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    On the TC vortex they state it should be used if the pedal is in a parallel loop; I guess it's the same for the delay.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    NPP said:
    now, in what context would one use the kill dry mode?
    In a parallel effects chain (probably a parallel effects loop, but there are other ways to do this) where your dry signal is routed somewhere else. 

This would allow you to do fun things like adding effects only to the delay repeats, or have a two amp wet/dry setup (or even a three-amp wet/dry/wet setup with stereo effects).

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom