A what guitar do I want thread- aka help!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Maybe an odd ball suggestion bit a heritage 335 type machine. Fitted with proper low output paf copies.  It almost gets you that tele sound but a bit more dirt and balls too when wanted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    Corvus said:
    Filtertrons are glorious things, got three guitars with them. The Blacktops are pretty different to the trad trons. Good with dirt, less bass in them. Trad ones have more mids and sweet chimey top end.
    The ones in the guitar OP is getting are different animals entirely... “Broadtrons.”
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    If you like PRS then a McCarty Std without the maple cap doesn't seem to have the mid hump.  PRS himself was quoted as saying the best tones were from a solid mahogany body.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Left field suggestion: a Nighthawk, if you can find one. Variety of tones, including a more powerful Tele. 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    edited April 2018 tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    Corvus said:
    Filtertrons are glorious things, got three guitars with them. The Blacktops are pretty different to the trad trons. Good with dirt, less bass in them. Trad ones have more mids and sweet chimey top end.
    The ones in the guitar OP is getting are different animals entirely... “Broadtrons.”
    Edited - I see now, found the vid. Yes. Seems odd to put them into Electros now, if they're the same ones as per the Streamliners.

• JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    If you like the sub - try an MM Silhouette special  - I do like mine a lot ... what pickup config you after and what sound you targetting and what PRS guitars did you let go ?  ..  
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    JMP220478 said:
    If you like the sub - try an MM Silhouette special  - I do like mine a lot ... what pickup config you after and what sound you targetting and what PRS guitars did you let go ?  ..  
    In the past 12 months a McCarty, Custom 22, Custom 24, S2 Standard 24 and a Vela oh and a 2016 LP trad.  The one constant has been the musicman which when I think about it obviously means something but whilst they play how I want them too it’s the sound that’s not quite right, of course maybe I’m focusing on what’s missing whilst not just enjoying what’s there?
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

How about something completely different like a Rivolta. They are a bit marmite but if you like them they are great, and they sound decent.

They have the cleans you are looking for and sound nice with dirt added.

The Mondata isn't a million miles from the Albert Lee shape that you like either.

https://eastwoodguitars.com/products/rivolta-mondata-std

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    Another possibility in the Gretsch area but more in the direction of a Gibson is a Guild Bluesbird - they’re less like a Les Paul than they look, brighter and airier sounding. At least one of the guitarists in Garbage uses them - with some pretty radical distorted sounds. I read an interview with both of them where they say they prefer lower-output pickups with high gain sounds as they retain the clarity better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    May be a smaller body Gibson semi? Tend to be lighter in the mids than solid bodies.
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2950
    You mentioned Andertons - if you're visiting them, have a look at a few Reverends (there's quite a lot of variety in their range). I love the Railhammer pickups (they do plenty of models with other pickup types), but all Reverends come with a bass cut as a second tone control. Amazing how useful this is once you've tried it. I bought two Reverends last year, and they're amongst the most versatile guitars I've owned - especially as they cover the range well, rather than 'just managing to'.