After some single coil advice/recommendations

deloreandelorean Frets: 226
I'm looking for something which I'm not entirely sure even exists, but I'm hopeful you lovely lot might be able to offer up some suggestions!

I want to replace the bridge pup in my US strat, alder body, maple neck and board. 

My requirements are thus -

Must look like a single coil, no blade types.
Must be as close to 'noiseless' as possible.
Must be able to perform well under a generous helping of gain.
Must still sound like a strat with the gain or volume backed off for more bluesy stuff.

I looked into the BKP Sinner, but think that might be a bit too brutal.  I also don't think it'll sounds much like strat, plus I have concerns about how noisy it'll be. 

Someone suggested the BKP Irish Tour to me over the weekend.   The demos I've heard sound nice but I'm not sure they'll stand up to  more gain.  Likewise with Fender's Hot Noiseless.

Does anything else spring to mind?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    I had some kinman vintage that were very good
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26651
    I have a set of DiMarzio HS-3s (the ones Yngwie used to use) kicking around somewhere. They're pretty good, and totally noiseless.

I just prefer Lace Sensors, and I'm willing to accept a certain amount of noise to get the sound I want :)
    <space for hire>
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Hot stacked pickup with a coil split for the Stratty stuff you're after.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3055
    edited April 2018
    I use a BK Sinner at the bridge on my Strat, middle and neck are Fat 50's....the Sinner is not brutal at all, despite the spec its not as high output as you would  expect, its a nice fat full bodied tone, so different to the trebly, weedy usual Strat bridge pickups of old, which I detest and never use, except in the bridge/middle position...the Sinner does the bridge/middle really well too, still giving that "Knopfler" (ish) Sultans sound....I got another for the bridge position in my Mustang too, it's fair to say, I like the Sinner and wouldn't hesitate to buy another if needed....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• deloreandelorean Frets: 226
    paulnb57 said:
    I use a BK Sinner at the bridge on my Strat, middle and neck are Fat 50's....the Sinner is not brutal at all, despite the spec its not as high output as you would  expect, its a nice fat full bodied tone, so different to the trebly, weedy usual Strat bridge pickups of old, which I detest and never use, except in the bridge/middle position...the Sinner does the bridge/middle really well too, still giving that "Knopfler" (ish) Sultans sound....I got another for the bridge position in my Mustang too, it's fair to say, I like the Sinner and wouldn't hesitate to buy another if needed....
     Thanks @paulnb57 - what's it like in terms of noise/hum? 

The demos on BKP's site made it sound like it had way too much beans for me, which was why I had disregarded it. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    I have a set of DiMarzio HS-3s (the ones Yngwie used to use) kicking around somewhere. They're pretty good, and totally noiseless.

I just prefer Lace Sensors, and I'm willing to accept a certain amount of noise to get the sound I want :)
    I agree about Lace Sensors - the Golds are very vintage-like - though they don’t meet the OP’s visual requirements.

If you’re prepared to forgo that aspect, they’re a very good choice.
    edited April 2018
    delorean said:
    paulnb57 said:
     Thanks @paulnb57 - what's it like in terms of noise/hum? 

The demos on BKP's site made it sound like it had way too much beans for me, which was why I had disregarded it. 
    I dont play live, however within the home the hum is no different to any othe single coil I have.....the Strat is also Alder/Maple and unshielded apart from the back of the scratchplate.....
    @delorean Edit...I made a video! Lovingly entitled "Utter Shite Video!"  hopefully it gives you an idea of the difference between the pickups
    Fat50's/Sinner at the bridge (The Sinner also has a metal backplate).......... Only drive I have is at the end and is a Dunlop BOG Fuzzface Mini flat out! All into an old iPhone, sound quality and playing is outstanding....NOT!
    Guitar is Fender Original 50's Strat...

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• deloreandelorean Frets: 226
    Cheers @paulnb57 ;!  That's really useful!!!  =)

(thanks for the PM too - will drop you a line back shortly!)
    edited April 2018
    Video is embarrasingly awful but hopefully demonstrates how much Stratiness there is in a Sinner.....despite its 21.5k output.......I wouldn't have bought one based on the spec....

• TeeByrdTeeByrd Frets: 159
    Have a look at Sliders pickups in Auz. I replaced the custom shop pups in my CS62 strat with a set of his 59SRV’s and never looked back. Plenty of reviews on YT to peruse.