Struggling to get ready for studio time...tips needed please!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    edited August 2018
    I think in cases like your's both methods are valid, it just comes down to what suits you creatively - the ability to do it quickly with you get the idea down, with the downside of having to motivate yourself to focus on it when there are a million distractions at home.  Or have a designated creative space remotely that it takes effort to go to so you prepare more to make the journey and time worth it, with the downside of applying pressure to that time as you've rushed to get there.

Your music is worth the effort to consider this though and its effect on the end product. With my stuff, nobody else will hear it anyway so there's only the ease of use for me to consider as any improvement in recording or mixing will a) only be for myself to hear and b) be a bit "lipstick on a pig" to be fair
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I used to struggle with this dilemma. Am I the artist or am I the recording engineer? I've got a home studio capability but it's a lot easier for me to focus on the performance if I'm not also worrying about levels, mic placement, etc. 

For demos, arrangements, etc., being able to work at home is far more convenient than going to a studio, but I'm never going to become a good enough engineer to deliver a high quality finished recording. Nor do I want to spend the time doing so. 

I've managed to accept the way things are and I'm learning to enjoy it. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I used to struggle with this dilemma. Am I the artist or am I the recording engineer?
    I gradually settled on being the producer, so playing an instrument, deciding on whether or not to put a middle 8 in, singing a backing vocal, placing a mic on a snare drum or notching out harsh resonances on a guitar track all end up being part of the same creative thing - working towards the goal in my head.

I mean, I totally blow it a lot of the time, but that's how I think about it and try to avoid that dichotomy.