Gibson being sued for $50 million

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    JerkMoans said:
    Anything that creates employment opportunities for honest, hard-working lawyers is to be applauded, imho :D 
    I think they're both busy just now.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Buy up all the old Gibson's while you can  ;)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Bigsby said:
    Fretwired said:
    I've never had a guitar with them...

My local guitar tech offers a removal service and says he has been inundated ...
    ICBM said:

Yes, and given that they're not that easy to fit to a guitar which wasn't built for them - there's not only the nut issue, but the headstock must be drilled with exactly the correct spacing for the posts, which not all Gibsons are by a long way - that suggests that most of them are being bought as replacements for broken ones.

So no surprises here... This is why you tend not to hear anything positive said about Tronical on guitar forums - you get met by a bunch of hostile responses, even from people who've never actually used one. :)

Great news for your guitar tech - but slightly sad that there are so many guitarists who don't know what a spanner is. Seriously, replacing a Tronical is possibly the easiest thing you can do to modify your guitar. Hardly more challenging than changing strings - yet your guitar tech is 'inundated' with this work? Oh well, at least he's making money... And presumably so are Gibson, if they're selling enough new HP models to spanner-less guitarists. And imagine just how many more must they be selling to guitarists who aren't entirely clueless.

As for the idea that people are buying all the used Tronical tuners as replacements for faulty ones.... just, WHY?
    Ridiculous. If your Tonical tuner broke so quickly, wouldn't you just buy some locking tuners & forget about it? I know I would! And how were used G-Force tuners selling well in 2015, when they were all still under warranty??? 

FWIW, Tronical tuners are easy to fit - as long as you have the right model (there are many available), and it's easy to download a template to check the fit if you need to. The one I bought for the Strat was a perfect fit, no drilling, no issues. And I guarantee Fender didn't build it for a Tronical Plus!  ;)

OK, with that said, I know there's no point in 'defending robotuners' on a guitar forum... Hands up. Resistance is futile, I surrender.

Mr Tronical I presume!?

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2950
    CHRISB50 said:

Mr Tronical I presume!?
    Instead of making presumptions about me, try reading my first post in this thread instead of just my subsequent reply. You'll see I'm far from happy with Tronical as a company, and their appalling lack of customer service. 

Better informed now, I presume?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tat2dsteshTat2dstesh Frets: 193
    Got some on a 2016 midtown and they lasted erm 1 week, fun to watch and use for weird tuning, but not 100% accurate and to be fair I use eb 95% of my time with the band and prefer to old fashioned method of tuners. Sold them easy for £60 though for some strange reason as I thought they would never sell. 

ICBM said:

Bigsby said:

As for the idea that people are buying all the used Tronical tuners as replacements for faulty ones.... just, WHY?
    Ridiculous. If your Tonical tuner broke so quickly, wouldn't you just buy some locking tuners & forget about it?
    Well, if I was one of the people who does actually like them, and knowing their tendency to break and the possibility that the company might not be around forever, I would not only want to replace it with another unit, I would probably want to get some spare parts for the future as well.

I would suggest you do so, in fact.

Bigsby said:

OK, with that said, I know there's no point in 'defending robotuners' on a guitar forum... Hands up. Resistance is futile, I surrender.
    You could start by understanding the real issues they have, rather than just labelling anyone who doesn't think they're a good idea as an ignorant Luddite.
    This still makes no sense... No matter how much I might like using G-Force tuners, if they failed within a couple of years and needed replacement, it would hardly be worth buying up unwanted units at £60 a pop - I'd soon be spending hundreds on stockpiling tuners. If I took what you're saying seriously, I'd be looking for bargain priced regular tuners ready for the day the Tronical units fail (actually, a much more sensible idea). Anything else is utter stupidity. Sorry, but it is a totally dumb, ridiculous concept, endlessly buying the same product because the last one broke almost as soon as you'd bought it.

Did I call anyone an ignorant Luddite? (Pretty sure I didn't). However, can anyone who hasn't used a device really speak with any authority or are they inevitably speaking from a position of ignorance? (Your word). 

My experience of these units:
    2014 MinEtune. Needed to be adjusted to work slightly slower and be more accurate, then worked flawlessly until upgraded to a G-Force after about 2 years, sold on Ebay with positive feedback.
    2015 G-Force on a Midtown. Worked flawlessly up to my sale of the guitar after about a year.
    2016 G-Force on an SG HP. Still working flawlessly.
    201? G-Force bought from Ebay and fitted early in 2017, working flawlessly.
    2018 TronicalTune Plus Strat-style, bought from Tronical. Perfect fit, but faulty, returned for a refund.

OK, I admit, it's a small sample size... But I'm just sharing my honest experience here. 

If robotuner-hating folks were truly luddite in their thinking, they'd be stripping the GPS units out of their cars, installing an atlas in the glovebox, and selling the GPS units on Ebay. Pretty sure few of them do that. It's not about being a Luddite. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Bigsby said:
    CHRISB50 said:

Mr Tronical I presume!?
    Instead of making presumptions about me, try reading my first post in this thread instead of just my subsequent reply. You'll see I'm far from happy with Tronical as a company, and their appalling lack of customer service. 

Better informed now, I presume?
    Chill you big tart. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Bigsby said:

However, can anyone who hasn't used a device really speak with any authority or are they inevitably speaking from a position of ignorance? (Your word). 

I can speak with authority. I owned a guitar with them.

They fixed a problem that didn't exist by creating a problem of their own  - several in fact.

I'm not a luddite. I just genuinely don't need them, and my experiences of them were that I could do the same job with more reliable tech I already had more quickly and more confidence.

When you talk to others who've owned 2015 Gibsons with them or similar, the vast majority say similar.

That says to me two things:

1) The tech wasn't ready for mass market yet ( under developed, refer reliability)
    2) The market wasnt ready for the tech (and I'm not sure they are now)

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    impmann said:
    Bigsby said:

However, can anyone who hasn't used a device really speak with any authority or are they inevitably speaking from a position of ignorance? (Your word). 

I can speak with authority. I owned a guitar with them.

They fixed a problem that didn't exist by creating a problem of their own  - several in fact.

I didn't call you a Luddite - and it was someone else in this thread that I replied to who said they were commenting, without having used one. Something that seems pretty common on guitar forums. 

Fine that you had a different experience with the guitar you owned, compared to the experience I've had with my guitars. Natural that we would therefore have different opinions. Nonetheless, it was ridiculous to suggest I should be spending money on stocks of used tuners - either because you're right and they're worthless junk, or because I'm right and they don't need replacing. Doesn't make sense whichever way you cut it.

Note that my main point in this thread was that Tronical seems to be in some difficulty themselves. But just mentioning anything that isn't entirely negative about these tuners means you always end up batting away the crap people throw at you. Like the presuming twat who though it was clever to call me a big tart... 

As for fixing a problem that didn't exist - this can be said of many, many things, like the internet, GPS, television, gramophones, right back to the wheel and cooked food. The latter being the likely reason we've got brains big enough to solve problems that don't exist... Which is sort of the point, inventions tend to fix problems we didn't know we had (and as such, didn't exist), or looked at another way, enable us to do things we didn't know we wanted to do. As such, it's meaningless. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom