The Ebony Project Taylor Guitars

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2609
in Guitar tFB Trader

Very cool to see the new Ebony trees being planted

And in case you missed it.. In this video which is now several years old he talks about the state of Ebony and I think everyone should know about this...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I think this is an important story and Bob Taylor and his team have done a great job with Ebony and it’s nice to hear he managed to get a straight deal with the government one of the hardest things to do in Africa.

i watched the original at the time and good to see the follow up. It would be nice to see other manufacturers take up on his lead and do the sa e for other woods heavily used woods.

i imagine the industry does not necessarily like having to buy fheir Ebony from a competitor but it’s a good thing someone with decent ethics stepped up.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited April 2018
    I was at the Guitar Guitar Taylor Road Show the other night and they talked about the good work Bob and his company are doing with regard to replanting and being ecologically sound. And yes, CITES came up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16684
    All his hard work will be ruined if CITES stomp all over it with there size 10’s.... just like they did with plantation grown rosewood 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    WezV said:
    All his hard work will be ruined if CITES stomp all over it with there size 10’s.... just like they did with plantation grown rosewood 
    The rumours are strong that they will. We’ll see!
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I personally think the lobbyists will be ready for an all out move to Appendix 2 for ebony. They may also get a little more creative. At the next Cop in 2019 they are going to look at guitar industry as a special case. Also at the moment the Chinese billionaires are not building there houses out of ebony and with people like Taylor 5 years into a very worth while project there lobbyists will make valid cases for a reliable working model.. I also think the rosewood changes have not really slowed down illegal Chinese furniture makers as it was all illeagal in the first place.

As I see it bloody Palm oil is a much bigger problem and if people lobbied manufacturers to boycott it in their products and reformulate the market for it and the race to grow it as a cash crop would do much to reduce deforestation.